cold header tube - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 02, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

I am hoping this has happened to somebody else, because I can't explain it.
I had trouble starting my 68 Camaro this spring. The plugs were flooding and it wouldn't idle. I have since reset the floats in the carb, and the needles and seats have been cleaned, along with the plugs cleaned and regapped.
The car started after doing these things and idles after warming up. However, I noticed that my #2 header tube was cold after 10 minutes run time. I started using my multimeter and checking wires and plugs for resistance. I cleaned that plug off again, and installed a new set of wires, because I knew my old set had a few nicks. I fired it up today and #1 header tube stayed cold, but #2 got hot. The only thing changed was the wires. I removed the new #1 wire and installed the old #1 wire, and the tube stayed cold. I could grab the tube with the car running.
Sorry for the long post, but I don't know what is going on. Any suggestions??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 02, 12:59 PM
Senior Tech

first do a compression check on that cylinder, the rings may be stuck. put a new plug in that cylinder if compression is ok. if its not try letting the motor fully warm up to hopefully get the rings to release. I can remember my grand dad having a similiar problem years ago that was stuck rings in a 64 chevy he didnt drive in the winter carbon was the culprit. he fixed it one year by spraying starting fluid in the cylinder then firing it up. (not suggested) the following year same problem this time he pulled the head an found a valve stem leak that had carboned up the cylinder making the rings stick in the same cylinder as last year. he had the head redone an took a wood hammer handle an rapped the piston a good one to loosen the rings. then a good decarbon no more problems. good luck let us know what you find
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 02, 03:23 PM

Happened to me once with a fouled spark plug. Could touch the tube with my bare hand. Hmmm, strange, I thought headers ran hotter than that. So, I grabbed the next one. Bam! That left a mark.

Depending on how bad the plug is, cleaning it may not fix it. Try swapping plugs with a hot cylinder and see if the coldness trades places.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 02, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

That's what was weird. I didn't do anything to the #1 spark plug. Maybe I'll pull all the plugs out tomorrow and check them. I do have another set ready.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode