Time to pull motor? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 02, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

So, I went install new headers, and thought this would be a good time to replace the old motor mounts. Everything when great on the drivers side. But needless to say, I broke the head off the lower engine mount bolt on the passenger side, leaving less than a 1/4 inch of the bolt protruding. I have tried everything to get the darn thing out. Propane torch, WD40, Rust Buster, even heated the boss while icing the stud. Anyway, every time I use Wise Grips I can’t seem to get a strong enough grip on the protruding stud. Do you guys know of a better tool with a stronger grip, or another option? I have the motor jacked 3 inches of the frame mount so there isn’t much room to play with. I don’t want to pull the motor for one measly broken bolt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 02, 12:38 PM
Senior Tech

Hello Marktat,

There is a handy little set of devices that you can use to get the bolt out. They are called "easy-outs". To use them, simply drill a hole in the end of the broken bolt, tap the easy-out into the hole and slowly wrench the bolt out. A word of caution, don't use too big a drill bit or drill the hole too deep.

Hope this helps!!

The Trickster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 02, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

yes, I could try those. HoweverI would have pull the motor for access, which I prefer not to do.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 02, 02:08 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

If it were my car, I might think about welding a nut on to what was left of the stud and backing it out while still warm. Another idea involves using a oxy-acetalyne torch and heating the area cherry red, wait a minute and spray it with PB Blaster or WD-40 and tapping it around with a center punch. That would be the first ideas I would try along with the earlier suggestions.

Next, I would be thinking about how strong 5 bolts would be instead of the usual 6 untill the next time I pull the engine?

-Mark.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 02, 02:19 PM
Senior Tech

Find a socket that will just fit over the bolt and center punch the bolt knub. The, with the socket still in place. Drill a small pilot hole. Use cutting fluid. Then enlarge to the required size for your easy out. You can try both 1/4" drive and 3/8" drive sockets, just make sure your punch fits well before striking. Consider getting a different punch if you can't find a fit.

All this is meant to drill perfectly in the center of the bolt. Heaven forbit you can't get it out, you're prepared for the next step which is drill it all out, retap and use a larger bolt or helicoil.

If you can't look straight down the shaft of the bolt drill facilitate drilling, pull the motor.

-dnult

[This message has been edited by dnult (edited 12-16-2002).]
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 02, 02:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

Try this from Craftsman, I have used it on stripped bolt heads, but the smaller ones may help you remove that sucker.

------------------
Our affair with Camaros is a live sentence without the possibility of parole. www.geocities.com/c68ss http://home.coqui.net/borench
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 02, 02:41 PM
Senior Tech
Don

I don't think he has a lot room to work with.

You might have to take a angle grinder with cut-off wheel, cut the bolt flush with block, then as posted above, drill it out with an angle head drill, and install a helicoil.

------------------
Don~ ZZ430DropTop
~~~~and~~~~
70 RS
67 RS/SS Convertible, 70 RS
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 02, 04:02 PM
Tech Team

Try to heat the surrounding area with a torch, then take a candle and melt it on the threads of the broken bolt. The heat will draw the wax down and Sometimes the wax will act as a lubricant, then use your locking pliers(vice grips). Hope this helps.

------------------
69 RallySport http://www.geocities.com/ralleysport2000/69Camaro.html

[This message has been edited by 69RS (edited 12-16-2002).]
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 02, 06:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
If it's absolutely hopeless getting it out, you could always run a chain or cable on that side just for insurance & peace of mind using the 5 bolts.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 02, 07:08 PM
Senior Tech
Cameron

Can you drill through the bolt sideways? If so, you might try finding a nut that fits the threads. I would think that a 3/8-16 nut would fit. Then drill a hole sideways through the nut and the broken bolt. Drill the hole as big as you can without seriously compromising the strength of the broken bolt. I would think, that with 1/4" sticking out, that a 3/32 or maybe a 1/8 drill bit would be as big as you could go. After you get the hole drilled, put some kind of hardened pin through the nut and the bolt. Hopefully, you can take a wrench and get the bolt out now that it is pinned to the nut.

If you can't get enough clearance to drill sideways through the bolt, welding a nut to the broken bolt sounds like the best way of getting it out. If you can't do that, I can't think of anything short of removing the motor to get the broken bolt out.

You might be able to remove the frame mount for more clearance if you have to.

Good luck

------------------
69 Camaro
400 Small Block
Trick Flow Heads
Comp 282S solid cam
Performer RPM intake
750 CFM Holley
and a Muncie four speed
Pics of My Car
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 02, 12:44 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Marktat,

I'd try str's(Mark's) suggestion of welding a nut onto it and try to wrench it out. Orench idea looks good, too bad you would have to buy the whole set. Or use it, then return it to the store.

If it doesn't work, and its on the pass side, I'd let it go. The only time the engine is going to twist from the pass side is if you were to downshift to second from 100 mph with the throttle closed.

Stevo has a good idea, install a torque strap on the pass side if you don't want to lose sleep.

------------------
Everett "OBJECTS IN THE MIRROR APPEAR QUICKLY UPON RAPID DECELERATION"
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 02, 01:21 AM
Senior Tech

Marktat,
Agree with Stingr69, if you have a mig welder, welding a nut on the broken stud/bolt works really well even if the stud is broken off below the surface of the block (just build the bolt up with welding wire - it won't stick to the cast metal). If you try this method the only thing I would add is use an uncoated nut (plain mild steel). I've used this method for removing broken exhaust manifold bolts from LT1 motors many times and have never pulled a head or tried drilling one out since. Sometimes it takes a few tries but it always works. I've found letting it cool a while after welding the nut on seems to work best and spraying some penetrating oil while hot doesn't hurt either, it gets sucked into the threads. The key here is patience, stay with it and don't let it beat you. It's one of the slickest tricks I've learned over the last 20 plus years. People are amazed when they see it done.
Goodluck, Drew

[This message has been edited by drew69 (edited 12-17-2002).]
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 02, 04:54 AM
Senior Tech

I had a similar problem when I was replacing my body mount (behind the engine). They were rusted really bad. The bolt snapped when I tried to take them out. I tried everything wd40, heat, oil. Someone told me about rust eater. I bought a can at the parts store. I sprayed the bolt 2-3 time a day for 3 days. The bolt on the 3rd day came loose right away and I twisted it out with my fingers.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 02, 12:46 PM
Senior Tech

I wouldn't grind or cut the bolt off anymore than necessary to get a flat surface for center punching. Keep your options open. If you grind it off, you've greatly limited the possibility of getting it out.

-dnult
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 02, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

Thanks for all the suggestions. I now have a few options to try. I'll update this post with the final outcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode