Tranny or gears - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 02, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I have a problem of over reving at the end of the 1/4 mile. I am reving 7000+ rpm when I have found that I should only be reving about 5800 for the speed that I am going (100mph). I was told that maybe it was because my traction is so bad(which it is) but I can't see how that is because it is still over reving for that speed at the end of the 1/4. Turbo 400 3000 stall, Dana 60 4.88, M/T Sportsman Pros 29/12.5/15. G-Tech time and speed 0-60 mph 4.5 sec. 13.5 et @ 100mph 7000+rpm, and I had to let off before I was done the 1/4 mile because I didn't want to hurt it. It seems to pull good, but it also seams to go through the gears awfully fast, could this be caused be a bad stall converter or bad tranny or is it just because the gear ratio is so high.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 02, 04:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
My guess is going to be gears too high. Sounds like everything is working well together, but the combo is just running out of steam too fast.
Would a desk top dyno show this?

------------------
Steve
67 396 race car project
67 SS 396,4-sp mothballed for resto
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350, under current resto
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
Stevo Camaro's Toy
Our Muscle Cars
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 02, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

That is what I thought until I was looking at an rpm calculator www.ring-pinion.com that shows with the height of the tire being 29 inches high that I shouldn't be reving that high. I have a friend with a 72 Nova SS 4.11 and a 26.5 inch high tire and gets through the 1/4 mile no problem. It was that web site information and my speed shop thought that maybe it could be my torque convertor or tranny since it was reving so high and not getting any speed.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 02, 04:29 AM
Senior Tech

Hey its the gears, those 4.88 are wicked, drop down to a 4.56 or i would go to 4.11 and you will have no problem, as when running the 1/4 shift your tranny manualy, it will help keep the engine up in the rpms, this way each gear it doesn't drop below 4000 rpms, goodluck
jake

------------------
1968 Camaro convertible, 454,th400,3500 stall,8.5 10 bolt,3.90 gears
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 02, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for the responses, as for shifting I do shift it manually but I'm in drive before my g-tech tells me my o-60 mph time and my drop from 2nd to 3rd is very low maybe 500 rpm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode