Fuel Tank - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 01, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Question

I bought a 67 Camaro 2 years ago with no engine or trans. It's been in my garage since. I think the fuel tank is completely empty. Any suggestions? I don't feel good about just putting gas in and trying it. I have the motor in and ran it out of a gas can just to break in the cam. Thanks for whatever advice you can give.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 01, 02:29 PM
Senior Tech
Billy

Hey dan I would pull that tank down just in case it my be full of rust. It is not to bad of a job two bolts unplug tank sending unit in the trunk unscrew ground wire and cut and replace fuel line. You can wash out the tank at a car wash. Good luck

------------------
'68 with a 355 and dart pro1 heads, XE284 comp cam, air-gap intake, th350 w/3000 stall and 3.73 gears. 12.20's @111 in the quarter.
'69 SS with a 427 with edelbrock alum heads, comp cam, performer rpm intake, 750 street dominator carb with a muncie 4-speed and 4.11 gears 12:40 @113
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 01, 04:28 PM
Senior Tech

68and69ss gave good advice....my car sat for a long time and I had a crap load of rust in the tank. i did'nt know that untill i put a see through gas filter and wow I was surprised my car even ran!
Takes about 20 min. to pull the tank (empty tank out as much as you can).
I didnt even mess with having it cleaned and checked...new tank and sending unit was about $200....good luck....

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 01, 02:49 AM
Guess

Definitely drop the tank. That way you can make SURE it's clean inside. POR-15 has a great kit to restore fuel tanks if yours is rusty inside. But there's so many other things you're going to want and need to check. The fuel system is too critical to just guess at.

-Check the tank straps... are they rusted and ready to drop?
-Check the wiring harness... dirty, frayed, missing wiring?
-Fuel lines/hoses... are they clean, is the rubber fresh? Replace it if in doubt.
-Fuel sending unit... is it rusted, or any broken pieces?
-Fuel lines along frame... rusted, bent lines, or missing clips?

I'd hate to see the car run like crap or even catch fire because of a faulty fuel system. Better safe than sorry!

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 01, 02:50 AM

I've heard of people using a long legth of chain to scrub the inside while washing it. At the very least, rinse it with fresh gasoline, and dry it with compressed air.

------------------
Jim Byrd
1970 350 four bolt, .060, Speed pro hyper pistons, stock crank and rods, '77 vette GM manifold, edelbrock 600cfm, comp magnum 280H cam, '993' 75cc heads, comp springs, manley valves 1.96"-- In 1972 Nova, aka Camaro in grocery getter's clothing.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 01, 02:30 PM
Senior Tech

Take a section of chain ,put in tank and with the help of a bud shake tank around. Clean out, and use the tank restore and sealer from Eastwood great stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode