Dieseling problem - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old May 7th, 03, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

I just traded my Bronco to my brother for his 85 Camaro with a 305 and electronic Q-Jet. When ever the engine is warm it diesels when I shut it off. The only way I can shut it off is to put it in drive and then shut the key off. How can I fix this short of buying a new carb?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old May 7th, 03, 05:44 PM
Senior Tech

Possibilities:
1. Keeps on ticking due to fouled spark plugs or cylinder area not allowing shut down due to hot carbon still able to ignite the gas fumes.
2. Carb set rich or leaking... a little keeping too much gas available to ignite.
3. Never seen this but the alternator might be shorting into the distributor wiring leaving a little power to keep a spark going. Not that I'm about to work on my car's ignition and other wiring and day dreaming about how I could screw up.
You'll always feel like your starting fresh with new plugs so maybe if they are dirty start there.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old May 7th, 03, 08:04 PM
Tech Team

Don't buy a carb unless you know 100% that it is the problem. You, in my opinion, are more likely to have an electrical problem. Possibly the diodes in the altenator are bad and allowing a slight current to flow to the ignition for a second or so after the key has been shut off. You may have some other electrical leak that is allowing the ignition to keep firing as well. Check this out with a test light. Find an ignition wire hooked to your distributor that is hot when the car is running and cold when it is off. When you have located that wire you simply need to start the car, attach the test light and then shut the car off. You will problably find that the test light stays on while the car diesels and then the light goes out when it finally stops. That my friend will let you know that your problem is electrical, not a carb.

Randy<br /><br />My dream car is never quite finished....<br />I keep running out of money!!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old May 8th, 03, 05:30 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
David - This is most likely caused by the throttle blades being opened a little too much. Sometimes you can turn the idle screw down closing the throttle blades some and then adjust the rich/lean mixture screws to bring the idle back to the desired rpm.

My '86 El Camino (305, electronic Q-Jet) does this from time to time also. It has a solenoid that kicks the idle up to keep it from stalling. You'll see it's plunger touching the throttle linkage on your carb. If like mine, your throttle is set ok on the carb but the solenoid is in need of adjustment. When the solenoid is operating the idle is about 1000rpm when it's not it's about 750rpm.

I'm always tinkering with the Camaros and kinda ignore the El Camino so I haven't done anything more than figure out what the problem is. I found a quick rev and then turning off the key when it settles to an idle usually keeps it from running on. I also notice that it does it more when whipping into a stall, throwing it into park and turning it off as opposed to letting it idle for about 30 seconds after putting it in park... The computers on these 80's cars are not the best!!!

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode