Sensors, Fuel Injection, specs - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 00, 06:43 AM Thread Starter

I am looking for enough detailed information to test the various sensors that drive the ECM module for an 88 camaro. If I take it to the local Chevy dealer, I think it'll be many 100s of dollars...
Specifically, how to test the MAF sensor, and some of these others.. Or are we locked into dealers for anything other than 70s cars??

I've worked on my cars for 20 years, but always had older (pre 1975) cars..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 00, 06:55 AM
Senior Tech

Centuari, If you had shown the area that you live in, someone near you might be able to help.WELCOME to one of the best sites on the net.

------------------
Leo Paugh
MCC #017
www.clark.net/pub/chevelle/mcc.htm
There are no strangers here, only friends you haven't met.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 00, 05:11 PM
Senior Tech

Best bet might be to contact Helms Books and get the actual factory service manual. I don't know of any place on the web that gets into this much detail. Book would be less than 100 dollars for the 88 year. Be surprised how much info in these books. I think they do have a web site, might search for them.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 00, 06:19 PM
Senior Tech

Yes, get a Helms manual. Also you'll need a good digital ohm meter. There are a few good tools you can buy that will scan the system and give you sensor readings. OTC, Autoxray are a few. If you have a laptop, you can get the diagnostic programs that will do the same.

I backyard method for quick checking the MAF sensor is while it's running, lightly tap it with a screwdriver. If it changes the running condition, then good chances that it's going bad.

------------------
67 Camaro LS6 454/TH400/12bolt 3.73
1989 TransAm 5.7L WS6 W/all the options

www.geocities.com/akfourme/
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 00, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Well, I finally found out I am not getting any fuel. Turn the key to the ON position, and no fuel pump running.. I checked against the firewall for what I THOUGHT was the fuel pump relay, but the color codes dont match what the Chiltons says. As I undersand it, the fuel pump SHOULD come on with the key in the ON position, not only when cranking.. Kind of hard to crank it AND bleed the air from the fuel rail at the same time, since I have no one to help...
If there is also a fusable link to check or test.. I'd be interested to know where the darn thing is... I've got a decent ohmmeter for testing, I'm just not sure where some of this stuff is...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 00, 10:18 AM

C, for a quick test, unplug your MAF to test that circuit. For your fuel pump, you can apply 12v to the 'G' terminal of the aldl to directly power the pump. You can then diagnose from there.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 00, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Red Devil! Never knew I could do that! Got a whole weekend to try to fix this now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode