Hard time putting gas in the car - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 11, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Mike

Hard time putting gas in the car

Hi all,

I have a question about filling the tank on my 68 camaro. When i try to fill it the gas spits out all over the place. It has a new tank and sending unit. Could it be the filler neck? There are no kinks in the filler.

Thanks,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 11, 08:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bill

Re: Hard time putting gas in the car

Did you have this issue before the new tank Mike? How are you filling it? Just putting the nozzle in as far as it will go and pull the lever all the way back or? I personally hold the collar of the nozzle with my hand and pull the lever back about half way. Then I "listen" for it to get full instead of letting the nozzle shut off by itself.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 11, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Mike

Yes i had this issue prior. I hold the nozzle about half way in and pump it slow. Ive tried a couple different ways and nothing seems to work. So its hard trying to get the tank full. About every 2 gallons it seems it wants to spit the gas out.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 11, 11:28 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

This happens to me from time to time too. Repo tank and sending unit. I find holding the handle at about 9:00 and pulling the lever back about half way works best.

Gary
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 11, 11:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Mike I have the same problem. I just think it's today's nozzles. I turn the nozzle sideways, don't put it all the way in the car and then pump slowly. It's a pain but saves a big mess.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SB 406/700r4/3.55 posi/Hotchkis Stage 2 TVS/Delphi 600 Series PS Box/Holley Terminator EFI
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 11, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Mike

Thanks guys. Ill try that.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 11, 12:19 PM
Senior Tech

Yes, it is an issue with design of the old filler style and new gas pump nozzles. If you have ever seen an old, leaded fuel dispenser, the tube diameter is significantly larger, and most were relatively less curved. In fact, when unleaded came into being, the nozzles and the filler neck openings were specifically made smaller, so folks wouldn't put leaded gas into a car that required unleaded.

67-68 are hard to fill with a modern filler, particularly those with the vapor recovery system that requires the collar to be pushed back before the pump will send fuel. 69's have an issue because, although the filler is behind the plate, it has a little less curve and is easy to overfill too.

The best way I can explain to someone who is not used to fueling an older car like ours is to bend over and listen to the change in tone as the tank becomes close to full, and then really throttle back on the trigger. Once you have done it a few times, you will know what I am talking about. When I used to fill either my 67 in HS (mid-1980s) or my 68, I had an old towel in the trunk to put under the filler opening to catch any drips. If the station has a window wash station, the blue paper towels work nicely for that too.

Either way, you have to pay attention when filling our old cars. Locking the trigger and letting the fuel fly is a recipe for around a quart of overfill on the tail panel, bumper, and ground

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 11, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Mike

Thanks Eric. Thats what i have been doing. Ill deal with the slow process or keep my ohm meter connected the the sending unit wire....
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 11, 02:29 PM
Senior Tech
mark

this problem is why I can't belive someone has not came up with a kit so you open your trunk lid and fill your tank from there. splice into the filler tube right there. I am not any good at fabricating but I would think someone would come up with something. mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 11, 02:45 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

I wonder if this thing designed for motorcycles would work to prevent this.

http://www.mccuff.com/

1969 Camaro SS
350/300 M20
12 Bolt 3:73 Posi

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 11, 04:41 PM
Senior Tech

First, here is a thread on this very same subject, where someone discussed using the McCuff... https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1245518

Also. it would be fairly easy to just locate the fill inside the trunk on a 67-68, like some street rods do, as long as the fill cap is NOT vented and that the tank itself is vented outside the car. I would never consider it, but I have filled so many of these old cars I don't have a problem with the location as GM intended. Having a fill port inside the trunk on a car that actually gets driven doesn't seem like a good idea...

http://66.154.44.164/forum/showthread.php?t=373183

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 11, 02:01 AM
Senior Tech
darrell

the older tanks dont have the vent tube in the neck and when you put a larger filler head at the pumps-there is not enough vent
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 11, 09:14 PM
Senior Tech

gas in tank is hot, gas in pump is cold. when cold hits hot, make a vapor fog that blows out the filler tube due to the nozel of today being smaller. after you get a little gas in the tank, a gallon or so, it should work normal. also good point to have nozzel at an angle, preventing the vapor from spewing out. and coold down quicker . if this is so, put fuel in when the car is cool and see if it does the same. tks good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode