keepin alive old racecar - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 11, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Robert

keepin alive old racecar

I have a 1989 Iroc it was a IMSA racecar from the Firestone Firehawk series. it has a 305 that is built to their specs for that year. my problem is I needed a new feul pump so I put one in. And I had a hole in the smog tube off of the exhaust manifold. I took it off and pluged the exhaust. I did put new spark plugs and coil and distributer cap on. I still missing mass air senser. How ever before I did this work and before my fuel pump went out they car would do burnouts like it was on ice. Now they car fires up with no problems and revs up like there is no problem. It will drive but is very sluggish and will not even turn over the tires anymore. I think it might be a vccume somewhere but I am not a good enough mechanic to figure this out. I didnt have a mass air senser when I bought the car it has always been a racecar and ther is no catalac converter on it the exhaust is a 2 into 1 tailpipe. If anybody has any pictures or ideas on the smog tubes and vaccum pump. the vaccume pump did go into the smog tube does this affect it.
Thanks everybody I am in a need for a crew cheif to keep the old racecar alive.
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 11, 10:06 PM
Senior Tech
darrell

Re: keepin alive old racecar

plugging smog tube aint your problem--vacuam leak maybe--cant hear one-maybe spray alittle brake clean around to find it--you will notice idle change if you hit it--i think those have 2 plugs to dist-wiring prongs-if you leave 1 of those disconnect-it will not have any timing advance-or it might be a connector on main wire loom disconnected--read how to set timing and see if it is where it should be on radiator shroud
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 11, 03:29 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjohnson View Post
my problem is I needed a new feul pump so I put one in. And I had a hole in the smog tube off of the exhaust manifold. I took it off and pluged the exhaust. I did put new spark plugs and coil and distributer cap on. I still missing mass air senser. How ever before I did this work and before my fuel pump went out they car would do burnouts like it was on ice.
Retrace your steps from beginning to the last and maybe something will pop up. Go through the motions and you'll see it.

As Darrell suggests, holes in the smog tube was not your problem, or did you introduce a problem?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 11, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Z4C View Post
plugging smog tube aint your problem--vacuam leak maybe--cant hear one-maybe spray alittle brake clean around to find it--you will notice idle change if you hit it--i think those have 2 plugs to dist-wiring prongs-if you leave 1 of those disconnect-it will not have any timing advance-or it might be a connector on main wire loom disconnected--read how to set timing and see if it is where it should be on radiator shroud

I didint think it was the smog tubes, but the reason I was wondering if it could be part of the problem is because the vaccum pump hooks up to the smog tube. On my vaccume pump i have a 1/4 inch line that hooks up to the smog tube and one a little bigger that I don't know where it goes. one sucks and the other blows. So I pluged them up it ran the same wheather they were pluged or not. I checked all the connecters to the distributor and they are fine. Would my timming get thrown off by just changing the cap, coil and wires and feul pump. My feul pressure is around 45 to 47 psi I have a pressure guage hooked up in the car. I will read up on setting my timming. This car is in really clean shape and I have aoriginal Bilmar Raceing engine in it. When my feul pump went out I put another intank high pressure fuel pump. Ihave been told that is good pressure my son said he read it was sapose to be 15 psi that sounnds way to low.
Thanks for all of your time.
Rob
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 11, 07:39 PM
Senior Tech
darrell

that is not a vacuam pump--that is a air pump for your emissions-way of recycling un burnt fuel--if you got a belt on it-you cant plug in and out of pump with belt on-will be major drag and burn up-i still would chek timing its part of a tune up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode