Full power? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old May 9th, 01, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Some mechanic told me that my car was missing, and he said something about running on 7 cylinders, and how he thought that could be occuring from time to time..Woudln't I know if I were missing a cylinder? I want my car to be running at it's full potential..He also said my water pump was leaking, but I took it to another shop and they said it wasn't..Now I'm not sure if I believe anything the first mechanic said..Also, the first mechanic gave me a list of stuff that needed to be done to my car, but the car seems to run fine, so I dont' know what to think..My car has about 65, 000 miles on it..Do you guys generally fix things only when they go wrong, or before they have a chance to occur?..Also, what are the symtoms of a car running on 7 cylinders, or below it's potential in some way?..Thanks
Ron
96 SS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old May 10th, 01, 05:36 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
I try to be proactive. Most things don't break without some tell tale signs. If you have a mis, (plug not firing) you might notice a bit more vibration at idle, it may sound different also.. Of course you need to know what it was like when correct before hand. Other thing that help fore-warn are, change in gas mileage, harder starting, any strange noises and even looking at and feeling the exhaust as it comes out the tail pipes. Even smells can tip you off.

The water pump is a visual thing. If someone tells you it's leaking ask them to show you where the leak is.

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"

[This message has been edited by DjD (edited 05-10-2001).]
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old May 10th, 01, 06:00 AM
Senior Tech
Steven

Ron,

On a newer car such as yours, you would expect to see the engine light come on and the computer should store a code. Also, you could expect things like rough idle and/or a trembling sensation when taking off . In terms of maintaining a car, there is CORRECTIVE service ( repairing broken things ) and PREVENTATIVE maintenance ( addressing required maintenance and worn things ). You do the preventative things ( like replacing a worn belt ) before it develops in a corrective thing ( replacing a broken belt ). Still, things will always break ... Also, doing recommended service according to your owners manual can get to be expensive...so, sometimes you make judgement calls. Don't compromise safety issues such as brakes and don't penny-pinch required service such as oil-changes. Learn to do some basic items at home ( oil change, replace wiper blade, etc ). One last things...learn your car...once you get use to how it performs, you'll be able to recognize deviations or changes ... you'll also obtain a little more peace of mind ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode