motor is having some problems.... - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 01, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Question

I recently bought a 69 camaro that has a 383 in it. i was driving it home and the whole car started shaking really bad. I checked everything out and the vibration damp. was a little wobbly so i changed that out and it is still there. @ 2500-3000 rpm in or out of gear the car is vibrating me to death!!! i took it to a local tranny shop and he said it was the flywheel or the t. converter, (he disconnected the two and ran it). what else could it be? If something was out of balance(pistons,rods, etc) would it cause a vibration like this? thanx for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 01, 03:47 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Being that it's a 383 the first thing I'd suspect is an incorrect balancer or flexplate. Does it have the vibration in park or neutral? This would eliminate any driveline/front end/tire balance issues.

The majority of the cranks used in 383 applications require a 400 flexplate/flywheel and balancer; in other words they're externally balanced whereas a standard 350 is internally balanced. The balancer and flexplate/flywheel have an extra weight attached to them and not having the correct ones for the engine will cause a MAJOR vibration which will hurt the engine. Identify which ones you have; get help from a machine shop or auto repair facility if you need to.

You also should talk to the guy who had the car before you and see if he has any info. Maybe he knows who assembled the engine and what balance it needs?

Bottom line, get it figured out before you hurt something. Did you test drive the car before buying? Was the vibration there at that time or is it something new?

Jody
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 01, 09:21 PM
Senior Tech

It very well could be the torque convertor...although I have never had one vibrate really bad, I guess it could happen. I have had a couple of different cars start vibrating mysteriously at around 2000 rpms or so. Both eventually turned out to bad torque convertors...something broke loose inside and threw the balance off. Using a cheapie convertor behind a strong smallblock can easily do this.

------------------
375hp 78 Chevy truck
77 Chevy Nova
95 Chevy Lumina 3.4L
and building a 78 Nova

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 01, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Angry

Thanx for the replies. i had the flywheel away from the t converter and the vibration was still there. That rules out everything on the car besides the motor. When i test drove it, i felt nothing. it felt good. but as i was driving home, i started to hear a humm which has turned into a vibration.
while under the car i saw that the weight was on the flexplate and i just had a 8" balancer put on yesterday, so i know its not those two. What else could it be?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 01, 02:02 PM
Bill

Joe,
If the car ran smoothly when you test drove it, I doubt that the problem you are having now is actually a "vibration" in the out of balance sense of the word. I am betting that the motor is just running roughly due to a carburetion, ignition or other problem. If the flywheel or damper had been wrong, or the motor not balanced correctly, it would have had the problem when you test drove it and when you first started driving it home. You say that it suddenly started doing it, thats why I am leaning towards a rough running condition. Plug wire come off ? Carb float stuck all of a sudden ? Etc Etc Etc. These are the types of things to be looking for.
By the way, when you replaced the damper...is the new one for a 400, with the cutout on the outer ring. This is what the 383 should have on it. The wrong damper will also cause a vibration, but your problem was not there when you first got the car,, so I dont think the damper was, or is the problem.
Hope this helps,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner
1973 Z-28 ..one family car...Brother bought it new in 73
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 01, 02:48 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Maybe a vacuum line has fallen off. I've had rough running vibrations before when a spark plug becomes totally fouled by leaking valve seal. Another possibility is a cam lobe flattening out. Do you have lifter noise when you start it the next morning when it is cold?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode