Nitrous problems! - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 03, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

I've got a 383 in my camaro with a 100 shot of nitrous. i just started spraying this motor and the 3 times that ive done it i feel a surging when im on the bottle. the bottle is full and the fuel pressure is set at 6psi. it feels as if the bottle is running low or the nitrous siloniod is partly closing and then opening, or its shootin more fuel in at one moment to flood it down then backin off at bit to get the right mixure and pullin hard. dont know what to do. should i rebuid my silonoids? or is there another problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 03, 08:29 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

nice name. it sounds kind of like a fuel related issue. are you sure your pump is up to task? if you have a gauge thats visible during acceleration, is it maintaining the 6psi? also you will be amazed (if you dont already know) how much better it will perform if the bottle is nice and warm, and in the neighborhood of 800-900 psi, but i doubt that is causing your surge. how do your plugs look after using the nitrous. i'd eliminate the fuel system first, if you are leaning it out you are treading on thin ice with the life of your motor. good luck, hope that helps.

Sean

1968 rs with an old school 354" SB2.2 pump gas motor.

Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 03, 04:50 AM
Senior Tech

Oh yeah! Definitely make sure your getting enough fuel when you pop that bottle! I donít know if you could flood your engine or not, but just in case keep a good fire extinguisher within reach. The last time I played with N2O was a long time ago. I used it on a 71 454 with rectangle port heads, a tunnel ram and an 850 Holley. Never could flood it, no matter how much I fed it. The only time I had a problem that sounds like yours was when the points would float. It does seem like I had to increase my fuel pressure once on the regulator for the secondary solenoid activated line though.

Ron
The ď
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ē
An exercise in interchangeability on a Well optioned 67 SS 350 vert.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 03, 09:47 PM
Senior Tech

Review the suggested usage for the device and go over the ideal rpm time to pop the bottle open. I believe it's best to open it up when you are already opening it up and at rpm already. At least that's something I've read on the summit performance site. Are you running the engine retarded to counter the extra force of the nitrous? If you aren't set up by manufacturers specs the engine is going to be fighting it's self like self destruct style getting hammered with nitrous combustion before TDC.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 03, 11:47 PM
Senior Tech

Back again. Here is the Summit info.
Summit Website On NOS

What is the difference between a standard and a NOS Hi-Flo bottle valve?

The orifice of the Hi-Flo valve is much larger than the standard valve allowing for a larger flow of nitrous. With a small orifice valve a pressure drop could occur when nitrous flow is high; causing surging or inadequate nitrous flow. The NOS Hi-Flo valve eliminates this problem. NOS Hi-Flo valves are standard in all NOS kits.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode