My cooling fan - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 01, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

Question

I'm having problems withy my 89 Camaro. My cooling fan does no come on when my car is running. It only comes on when the A/C is on. I know it's not the fan motor. Could it be the the cooling fan switch? If it is, where is the switch located? How do I know if my car has a fan clutch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 01, 11:40 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Send a message via MSN to kausboy
If you have electric cooling fans you don't have a fan clutch. Easy enough so far eh?
You should be able to locate the coolant sensor in the right (passenger) side head between the two middle spark plugs (Ithink) Unplug that baby with the key on engine OFF -don't want to burn yourself on the exhaust! Take a test light hooked to a GOOD ground and touch it to the wire lead. The coolant fan relay should "click" and the fan should come on. If it does (and it should since it comes on with the air) you need a new coolant sensor or you have an open wire. If I remember correctly the sensor won't "kick in" till 210 or 220 Too hot in my book. I think you can get one from Mid America Corvettes that will come on at 200 and off at 190 or so that will work in your car.

hope it works!!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 01, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Question

I changed out the cooling sensor, and the fan still won't work unless the A/C is running. I know it's not the motor. I'm at lost. I don't know what it is.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 01, 04:37 PM
Senior Tech

Lightbulb

Greetings, according to the 1989 camaro service manual. It is normal for the for the coolant fan to come on when the engine is below operating temperature with the a/c turned on and go off when the a/c is turned off. A simple check of the system is this, with the engine warm, run the engine at fast idle for several minutes. the coolant fan turns on and the heavy duty coolant(if equipped) fan comes on. Since you did not specify the engine vin type(S, E, F, or 8), I am unable to give you any further info at this time since each vin type has a different
corrective action. The engine vin type is the eighth digit in the car vin number. Hope this helps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 01, 12:07 AM
Senior Tech

if it aint over heating, i wouldn't worry about it. my 94 LT1 cop car caprice never turns the cooling fan on- even in 100 degree summer heat. the thing still runs cold-probably too cold.hell, the fan never came on with the ac either, and it never got hot, and the air blows COLD. could be that you just have enough extra cooling capacity to not need a fan...a good test would be to fast idle it with the radiator blocked by a piece of cardboard or something to see if it gets hot enough to click on the fan...

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16" IROC wheels
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 01, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

My Vin is E type. My car isn't equipped with a heavy duty coolant fan.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 01, 09:27 AM
Senior Tech

Talking

greetings again my1stcamaro, with the info you have just given me. We might just be able to solve your problem. To quote the 1989 service manual for the coolant fan on V8 vin E engines. The coolant fan relay is activated by the coolant fan switch. The switch closes when the coolant temperature is over 116 degrees centigrade (243 degrees farenheit) completing a path to ground through the cooling fan relay windings. The relay contacts then close and voltage is applied to
the coolant fan. when the coolant temperature
drops to 116 degrees C (243 degrees F), the switch opens and the coolant fan stops.
In A/C equipped vehicles, the A/C control head completes a path to ground for the coolant fan relay. Voltage is then applied to the coolant fan.
So in essence, unless your engine gets really hot, your coolant fan won't come on unless you turn on the A/C. If you would like to check your coolant fan switch to make sure it is not bad. Disconnect the wire from the coolant fan switch, turn ignition switch to run but don't start engine. Jumper the black wire to ground, if the fan runs, replace the switch. The switch is located above the starter on the lower r/h side of the engine, it only has a single wire going to it. A word of advice if you do change that switch, drain the radiator first and make sure the engine is cold.
good luck and hope this helps you!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 01, 07:10 PM
Senior Tech

I would suggest getting the coolant sensor from JET chips. It comes on at about 180 degrees I think. That is much better than 243 degrees.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode