Coil wiring problems/can't start - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 03, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

I need help sorting out a problem with my 67 rs. I recently removed the original 327 and installed a brand new 454. I also upgraded to a Mallory's "electronic" coil and magnetic breakerless distributor. I also have the recommended ballast resistor installed (inline positive lead from the coil to the distributor, hope that is right)and it just seems like there is too many wires on the positive coil side. How many are there supposed to be? And if I am upgrading from a points system to electronic, is there any modifications to the harness to be made? The car had A/C, which sadly was removed, but everything was original under the hood. I have a total of 4 wires on the positive side of the coil and 1 on the negative. Anyway, this is what I think is the problem in getting this old neglected project to start. It cranks easily, the battery is strong (Optima @ 12.9 volts)and I can see gas. This car has started/run/shutdown with this same setup over a dozen times, but now there is no spark. I might get one pulse initially but that is it. I thought it might need additional grounds so I checked the existing as well as added another from the negative battery terminal to front panel bolt. After I did this, I did get spark and the car ran, but not well. The timing is off but crazy off, so I thought that might be the culprit. I have no timing tab on there (I know) so I have to estimate for now. I advanced/retarded a little while working the throttle. It still smoked like a chimney but at least it started up etc. The next day I had no spark again, so I don't know what to do. I did not do anything so why is there no spark again? I have a collection of those distributor modules in trying to figure this one out, help me anybody!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 03, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Read some older posts, now have the brown wire as well as the distributor negative on the (-) side of the coil. I have only one wire going to the (+) side, but it made up of 3 wires going thru the Mallory resistor block. They are the yellow (starter?), the white/black (Power?) and the distributor positive. Is this right? I now get spark but it still does not start.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 03, 03:44 PM
Senior Tech
Steven

Re-check the distributor installation to make sure it is properly oriented. Then get a buddy so that once of you can turn the distributor while the other attempts to start the car. If you have spark and gas, then the problem almost certainly is the timing ...

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 03, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

I was not getting spark again after rechecking and correctly wiring everything back up. I pulled off the cap and found out that in addition to my originally wrong wiring, the button that contacts the rotor cracked off and was just held in place with pressure. It fell out when I lifted the cap off. I will try a new cap and rotor tomorrow and see if it starts up. Thank you for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode