Fuel Pump Electrical - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 02, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

My car is a 91 rs with a 3.1
I am getting no juice to the fuel pump (in tank) at the connector behind the back seat. My fuse box does not have a fuel pump terminal at all and i am not sure which relay (if any) relays power to the pump. The wires appear to be in good shape as far as i can trace them. Can Anyone Help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 02, 02:49 PM
Senior Tech

Hello jack91rsv6,

Check under the hood, you will find a 20 amp inline fuse mounted either behind the r/h headlight or near the overflow tank. This is the fuel pump relay/ecm protection fuse. It will blow in the event there is a short in that circuit. Replace that fuse and you should be good to go. I would also check the wires leading into your fuel pump relay to see if any are bare. I almost changed out my fuel pump one time thinking that I had shorted it out. While reading thru my service manual to learn about changing the pump, I spotted the information about this fuse maybe being the culprit, it was.

Hope this helps!!!!!!!!!

The Trickster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 02, 04:37 AM Thread Starter

OK ill give that a try. Thank you much for the help.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 02, 06:17 AM Thread Starter

Hey, i ve got a quick Question for you. I have located a fusible link near the passenger side of the radiator, which goes to a small junction box (actually just a screw joining 3 positive leads) Is this the fuse you are talking about? I believe there are 3 red wires (approximately 12 gauge wire) of which one powers the electric cooling fan. I do not see any nearby relays. Am i in the right are?
Thanks for any suggestions
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 02, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

Ive got A little more information. The 3 red wires i just mentioned all have power on both sides of fuses and both sides of junction box. I beleive this comes right off the battery. My guess is that the problem lies between the ignition switch and the pump, since the pump is "key on" activated. The only other thing is that the purple wire (fuel gauge wire) is getting power with the key on. Thanks for any further help.
Kevin
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 02, 08:47 AM
Senior Tech

Hello jack91rsv6,

Don't worry about those wires, they have nothing to do with your problem. Check your e-mail, I have just send you a PDF file that should help clear things up.

Welcome to the site!!!!!!

The Trickster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by trickster (edited 10-13-2002).]
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 02, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Hey Trickster,
Thanks so much for those diagrams. I found the fuse you were talking about. Thats the good news, the bad news is that the fuse isnt blown and there is voltage on both sides of it. So, i am still trying to trace it from the rear harness by the pump up to the front. Is there a relay (like the ones that are in the cooling fan system?) I really appreciate all of your support.
Thanks again,
Kevin
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 02, 02:10 PM
Senior Tech

Hello jack91rsv6,
Yes, there is a relay for the fuel pump. It is mounted on the drivers side firewall. it is rectangular in shape and will have about 5 wires coming out of it. I will try to send you a diagram of shortly. Forgot to send it in the first file. will send soon

The Trickster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 02, 04:22 PM
Senior Tech

Check your e-mail

The Trickster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by trickster (edited 10-13-2002).]
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 02, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

Hey trickster, Thanks for those diagrams. I checked that relay by switching the electric fan relay ( which works ) into its place and still have no power. The relays appear to be the same (same #s and pattern), so i imagine that should've worked, Right? The only other thing i was thinking is that there may be a problem in the ecm. After looking at the diagrams you sent me, i read that the ecm controlls the power to the fuel pump. It also says that a check can be done by applying 12 volts to the "ALDL" port. Do you know which port this is under the dash? I appreciate the help.
Thanks,
kevin
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 02, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Ok ,
Ive traced the power lead from the fuel pump along the passenger door sill to the main harness that goes through the firewall (above drivers left foot). The wire continues through firewall along firewall across drivetrain to passenger side and back into firewall. I assume this goes directly into the computer. My guess is that the problem may be here in the Computer. Ive tried disconnecting the positive batt cable, but still have no power. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Kevin
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 02, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

One correction !!!! I've traced the wire from the fuel pump along the DRIVERS door sill.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 02, 01:37 PM
Senior Tech

Hello jack91rsv6,

While you were tracking those wires down, did you by any chance see the black wire that is mounted to the floorboard at the lefthand side of the drivers seat? There are usually two of them, one would be for the power seats and the second one would be the ground for the fuel pump. I would definitely check this groud wire to make sure it was making a good gtound and not loose, corroded, broken, or shorting out somewhere. The ALDL is mounted under the dash by the drivers right knee. I will try to send you a scan of it later.
While you are at it, I would do a good check of that wire going from the fuel pump relay to that 20 AMP fuse and from that fuse to the ECM to make sure everything is okay there.

The Trickster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by trickster (edited 10-16-2002).]
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 02, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

HEy, Trickster
I found one black ground that grounded to the seat belt assembly. As far as the ALDL is concerned, Do you know how to do the test where you apply 12 volts to see if you can get the pump to run. I Think that would be a good start. I'm really thinkin something is wrong with the computer. I've got a friend with the same year and motor. So i think im going to pull is computer out and switch my prom into his computer. If you know of that test or have any diagrams on that, it would be great. Thanks for all your help.
Kevin
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 02, 12:55 PM

One other thing you might check is the oil pressure sending unit. I know on a mid 80's Buick my fuel pump wouldn't work because the oil pressure sending unit had crapped out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode