I can really use some help - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 11, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Cole

Angry I can really use some help

i have a 95 3.4l camaro and lately its been having trouble strating. I dont think its the fuel pump because it runs great after a while of driving. its almost like its starving for gas when its trying to start and during the 1st minute of driving until i give it a lot of gas i feel like its getting worst and i really want to fix it. i dont want to take it in some place and pay a bunch of mechanics that dont know what there talking about. Any ideas please let me know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 11, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Cole

Exclamation i can really use some help

I have a 3.4l 95 camaro but its having trouble starting. it has trouble starting when its been sitting. im pretty sure its not the fuel pump because i can hear it when i turn the key. its starts after about 10 times and i have already had to replace the starter. i really want to get this fixed so i dont have to keep replacing my starter. im thinking it could possibly be bad ignitors or spark plugs but after i replace those im thinking about replacing the ignition module but its like $90 bucks and i rather not buy it if thats not the problem. but if anyone could help me i would really appretiate it.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 11, 04:10 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Re: i can really use some help

Can you tell us more? The starter turns over, you can hear the fuel pump, does it sputter at all? What does it do when it does start? Usually if it is timing the computer figures things out after 3 or 4 turns. Is it actually 10 times?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 11, 04:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Thumbs down Re: 95 Camaro

Please follow the site rules you agreed to when signing up - and Do Not Double Post

Sere - https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=197167

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 11, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Cole

Exclamation 95 Camaro

i have a 3.4 95 camaro and im having trouble getting it to start everytime it sits for an hour. i dont think its the fuel pump because i hear it everytime i turn the key. It starts after about 10 cranks but its wearing out my starter. im thinking about buying a ignition module but its like 90 bucks and i dont want to waste money if thats not the case i would appreciate it if anyone could give me some advice
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 11, 04:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Angry Re: 95 Camaro

QUIT MULTIPLE POSTING THE SAME QUESTION

Read the site rules

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 11, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Cole

well it cranks over but theres not enough fuel going to the motor because after it finally starts it shakes right at first while im driving and then i give it a lot of gas and then its fine. and after i get it running it runs fine
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 11, 04:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Thumbs down Re: i can really use some help

If you'd quit multiple posting (against site rules you "agreed" to ) you just might get more responses from folks who have fixed this before and could help you - like me ...

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 11, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Cole

ya i know thats my bad but i just figured out how to post things on this website i dont know why it was so hard for me to figure out and then i finally saw this spot which is where everyone was posting there problems but it just took me the third time so im sorry
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 11, 04:39 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: 95 Camaro

LOL Triple posted - https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=197169

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 11, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Cole

Re: 95 Camaro

sorry i didnt know where to post
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 11, 05:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Thumbs up Re: i can really use some help

This isn't 'wiki-camaro' ... answers can take time.
All car-folks here trying to help each other out - no paid staff or 'answer men' working on it.
Junks up the site to have bunches of post (from the same guy) not following site guidelines and makes answers take even longer and you will most likely get conflicting/bad info.

Now - back to your problem ...
Most likely is not anything to do with the ignition system - can happen, but usually does not effect start/idle ...

Most likely is the fuel pressure (or lack of it) at start/crank and initial idle ...
Have you checked the resting (engine off sitting in drive), 'key on' (but not started) and starting (cranking) fuel pressure readings?
If you don't have a fuel pressure guage set-up, most of the chain auto parts stores will "loan" you one.

Just because a pump makes noise, doesn't mean it's providing the proper amount of fuel ...
There should be @40PSI as soon as you turn the key on the first time - when you're hearing the "pump run" after just turning on the key.
It then should stay at @40PSI during cranking.
Once a fuel system is pressurized it should hold that pressure for a long time - days, not hours ...
Failure of the system to hold pressure points to a leak, which you would most likely have seen or smelled by now, or a bad check ball (valve) in the pump allowing pressure to bleed off.

The two (2) things that effect it are:
Fuel Pressure Regulator;
* should limit pressure to @40PSi after start
* check the internal diaphram to make sure it is good and doesn't leak - pull vacuum line off and check with vacuum source or smell for fumes in line at least.
* check to be sure it controls pressure when throttle is opened - it if doesn't then the internal valve may be bad and is not returning excess fuel to tank and can overpressure the injectors.
* they are cheap (<$60) and easy to change

Fuel Pump;
* should provide @40PSi of pressure when key is turned to 'on' for a few seconds
* should 'hold' that pressure during cranking
* should provide @40PSI of pressure once engine fires and idle is stable.
* should hold that pressure well past an 'overnight' set - or as stated above the internal check is failing.
* they are expensive (>$150) and can be hard to change for some.

Not that it will normally cause this type of problem - but, have you checked the fuel filter?
Be sure to buy one and change it if you install a new pump or regulator.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 11, 05:53 PM
Senior Tech
george

Sounds like a fueling issue.Right now, i would install a pressure gage on the fuel rail to aid in diagnosing.Your symptoms are indicative of a fuel pump foot valve fail.The rail does not hold pressure and the extended crank/starts but runs rough/cleans up.. is air being purged from the rail.Tap into the shrader/service valve and confirm that the pump will build and hold 42 psi after the 2 second key up prime.

George
68 Camaro
8-71 blown 461 Rat on E-85
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 11, 09:37 PM
Senior Tech

Could be the ect (engine coolant temperature sensor) if the computer sees the engine as warmer or colder than it is, the fuel ratio on start up will be far enough off that it will run like a turd.
Get the manual, look up the specified resistance and where the sensor is...
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 11, 12:15 AM
Senior Tech
darrell

Re: I can really use some help

agree on fuel-chek and replace filter first then furl pressure and regulator-chek if any fuel is getting on vacuam port to regulator, it shouldnt-and 1st of all do you have a hard code- engine light staying on---chek code and go from there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode