Fuel Gauge from Autometer.... - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 02, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I installed a new fuel gauge from Autometer in my '68. The tank was full and the gauge registered way over full. I wasn't too worried at this point but I haven't driven the car very much at all because I am still restoring it. Mainly I crank it up for a little bit every week and maybe to move it in and out of the garage. Now all of a sudden it is registering almost empty. I watch everything very closely and I never saw it at the 3/4, 1/2, or even the 1/4 mark. Although when I turn the key on it slightly moves up to the "E". Let's just say for good measure that the car is close to empty, (I will check) but why the sudden change. Has anyone installed the Autometer fuel gauge and did it work with the system well? I will fill it up again and I assume the gauge will top out, but I would like to see the progress as it empties. Anyone ever come across this....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 02, 05:19 AM
Guess

Maybe the fuel sending unit in the tank has a 'flat spot'. It may eventually get past that spot and read normally again. Check to see how much gas is in the tank and run it some more. If the gauge goes back to a normal reading for how much gas you think is in it, it's the sender.
Good luck
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 02, 10:26 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

2zMax, I put the autometer fuel gauge in my 68. I tied into the tan wire (sending unit) at the instrument cluster harness, and ran a ground wire all the way back to the same place the sending unit grounds (just above and to the right-looking forward from back of the tank). The third connection on the gauge was to an ignition source. I used 18 gauge wire I believe for all wires. I haven't had any problems with mine, reads more accurate than the factory gauge. check out this website to help you troubleshoot it more http://my.core.com/~faldrich/fuelgage.htm Hope this helps you.

130fe

[This message has been edited by 130fe (edited 08-06-2002).]

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 02, 03:35 PM
Senior Tech

I have an AutoMeter gas gauge that's intermittant also. You have to tap on it a few times to get it to read right. Also, it can become irratic at times. It's definitely in the meter movement and is not adjusted properly.

The guy at Autometer promised a replacement if I sent mine in. I am doing such this winter.

------------------
STEVE JACK
ConceptOne Pulleys and Brackets
Northern/Southern Rodder Magazine's "Jack'Stands" author and creator
Techical forum/links at www.inccn.net/techforum.htm
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 02, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks 130fe, I think I figured it out. I had a grounding problem. I ran a new wire as you did (same gauge), filled the tank and it registered full. I have ran it some and it seems to be coming down true. At this point it looks like it registers way over "F" for full and just before it hits the "E" for empty. I ran the car with the new wire installed and before I added fuel and it ran out just as the needle was hitting "E". Definitely have to remember that.....thanks again, good info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode