Hesitation when accelerating. - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 99, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

I have a 81 camaro with a 350 4 b.main,high rise manifold,4bbl.and headers. The engine is from a 83 truck. The car runs good except when I accelerate from any speed it (bogs) hesitates for a second or two before it kicks in.????

------------------
J.D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 99, 03:36 PM

What kind of carb do you have? Q-jets are famous for this problem. If you have a Q-jet, first check to see that there is a vaccume diaphram hooked up to the secondary air valve (the big flap over the secondaries). Not having this hooked up will allow the valve to open too quickly when you lay into it. If that is hooked up, there is a small screw on the passenger side of the carb at the top, and an allen screw underneath that locks the screw in place. It is kind of hard to see it. This adjusts the spring pressure on the valve, you may need to tighten it (Clockwise, I think). Let me know if this helps.

------------------

[This message has been edited by 68RS (edited 03-23-99).]
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 99, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Thanks 68RS for info, but which vaccume diaphram do you mean? I have a Quadra Jet as you suspected. The vaccume diaphram from my distributor is hooked up to the front part of carb. The big flaps on back have a hook up but it's blocked up. Where do I hook it up to? I have a vaccume switch on carb, drivers side, blocked off and one I think is for choke that goes to intake manifold, not hooked up to well.
There is a vaccume comming from the back of my manifold with a few outlets one goes to the back of engine or tranny? and rest are blocked off. Still confused

------------------
J.D.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 99, 01:20 PM

If my memory is correct, it should be hooked up to a manifold vac. source. A way to check for this is to find a port that's not used and put your finger on it with the car running. At idle, there should be a good amount of vac. there. When you snap the throttle open, the vac. will drop off and come back heavily upon deceleration. Try to hook this up to the diaphram that is linked to the secondary air valve. The diaphram on the secondary air valve has a very small hole in it so when you hit the gas, the diaphram opens slowly, in turn opening the air valve slowly to prevent a bog.

------------------
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 00, 02:27 PM

I have a problem with my Quadra-jet too.
It is on a built 350, and has the same problem you are having. I used a good carb cleaner on it and it helped some but not much. I was wondering if anyone could give me some basics on the locations of parts on the carb and some info. on it.
Thanks
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 00, 06:39 PM
David Pozzi

Go to Amazon.com
get HP Books "Rochester carburetors" by Doug Roe. ISBN # 0-89586-301-4
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 00, 05:08 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I hate Q-Jets! Had the same problem on my Blazer, got so fed up with it that I bought a Holley Pro-Jection. The really bad news is my Camaro has a similar but not so bad bog off idle, with an Edlebrock Performer carb! I think I'll steal the Pro-Jection system from the Blazer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode