Need Help, Carb Problems - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 04, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Del

Question

I have a 327, CH heads, vic jr. intake, holley 750DP, mild cam. Camaro ran fine, just always ran rich and idle at 1000. I could never get the mixture set right, probally due to carb being to big for my application. so I swapped the 750 with a barrowed working edelbrock 550.

Here's my problem,

After swapping the carb I could not get the car to start, It kept flooding. I checked the choke and verifed it was closed, Finally got the car to start but would not stay running long enough to warm up or make any adjustments. I pulled the plugs and they were all wet. I let it sit for a day installed all the plugs and tried again. It started once, died and would not start again. Pulled the plugs and again they were all wet. I just purchased a new 625 Road Demon carb, elec chock (not connected), Vac Sec, (ready to install right out of the box) installed it today the car started right up but after about ten seconds it started kicking and sputtering as if it was flooding. Checked the choke position, closed. Tried starting again and same situation, kicking and sputtering. Pulled the plugs and they are all wet.

Can anyone tell me why its flooding out everytime, even with a known working carb and a brand new carb?

It always started and ran okay before the swap, just rich.

I tried to adjust the timming while it was sputtering, a turn of the dist. in either direction did not have an affect other then shutting the motor down.

Thanks in advance.

[ 03-27-2004, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: penquin ]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 04, 05:48 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally posted by penquin:
...I just purchased a new 625 Road Demon carb, elec chock (not connected),...
Not sure with the two other carbs, but if the new carb has an electric choke that's not hooked up, the car will start up but the choke will stay closed and cause it to run rich. If it's hooked up, the element in the choke should heat/expand and gradually open the choke after starting. The choke should only be closed (providing the richest mixture) during the initial start, and then gradually open as the motor warms.

Try hooking up the choke and see how it runs after starting, then adjust choke rich or lean on following starts to see which way to go.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 04, 10:21 AM
Senior Tech
Steven

as a side note, also check your oil level ... if you have had excessive flooding, the gas will find it's way into your oil pan diluting the oil and resulting in excessive fumes when you do get the car started...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode