Engin Overheating - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 00, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I recently purchased a 69 Camaro with a Chevy 350 engine. It worked great in the early spring. As soon as summer hit, the Radiator started to overflow. Also my center console gets very hot. I am conserned the Tranny is getting too hot. I have headers and glass packs in the area of the Tranny, but when I frist bought the car there was not a heat problem. Also I have a separt tranny fluid cooler. I changed the radator cap and thermostat. I check the fluid concentration and it read about 70% anti freeze to water. I have a heavy duty radiator (so I am told) and am using a 84 Chevy electric fan for cooling. My temp gauge reads between 185 and 205 degress. I put in a 160 deg thermostat. I have never had a car with headers and the engine compartment seams to get very hot. I was think this was due to the headers. I put an mechanical fan on instead of the electric and had the same problems. One other strange thing, the timing is set very advanced. The timing mark at @600 RPM is all the way at the top of the damper. I moved it to 8 degress and the car preformed very badly. I think the cam must have been put in wronge. Any help would be greatly apprechated.

P.S. I have a 350 auto Tranny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 00, 06:35 PM

Arrow

Just taking a guess...happened to a friends 4 banger..

Find out if the radiator has become clogged..that would restrict/cut-off the coolant flow and make it get so hot.

good luck

------------------
'69 SS 355/350 red w/ white Z28 striping
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 00, 07:00 PM
Senior Tech
Drake

Cool

You might also try running with less anti-freeze in your coolant mixture.Water actually transfers heat better than anti-freeze.The more water you have in your mixture,the better it will cool,but this also lowers it's boiling point,so it's kind of a "catch 22".I myself run strait water,with a rust inhibitor added,this has worked good so far for me.
Also do you run a shroud?This can also make it run hot if not set up right.
One question,you say the radiator "overflows",do you mean BOILS over,or overflows out the overflow tube.A coolant recovery can can be used if you are worried about the overflowing out the tube.If you mean boiling over this should not be happening at that low an engine temp.

------------------
67 RS RAGTOP # matching
4X4 Chevy truck
4X4 Suburban

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 00, 07:55 PM
David Pozzi

I think your timing is screwed up.
Make shure when you set it to disconnect the vaccum advance first.
Then set it at 10 to 12 degrees advanced and see how it runs.
you might have it retarded now, and that makes heat in the exhaust system.

With the radiator, make shure you dont have a lot of bugs stuck in the fins. Put a drop light on the engine side of the core and look thru it and see if it's plugged up.
Take a look inside the radiator cap and look at the tubes in the core. Do they have white deposits around the core tubes?
Run the engine and see if you can see water coming thru the tubes pouring into the end tank. If the tubes are getting plugged up internally, you will see some tubes not flowing.
You might have to drain the coolant down three or four inches to see in there.
David

------------------
The older I get, the faster I was!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode