Lower ball joint replacement - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 02, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

On tuesday, the first day I finally drove my 68 RS to school, I got home and suddenly the car fell to the right. So I hopped out and saw my fender wrangled up and the bottom of my tire was kicked out. I looked under the car a saw that my lower ball joint broke, so I got a new ball joint and bolted it in. But I was just reading CHP and on their Supernova project they had to press the lower ball joint in. Do you have to do this? I know to get the old ball joint out we needed to beat it out with a hammer but I tought taht we could just put the new one in and bolt it up. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 02, 09:24 PM

You have to have the lower ball joint pressed in. The only bolt in ball joint is the upper one. Any NAPA parts store or Pep Boys should be able to do it for you. Mine cost me about $20 to have both done.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 02, 02:06 AM
Senior Tech

Kyle, You should be able to rent a lower ball joint tool (press) from an auto parts store. It looks like a big C clamp and has spacers for the ball joint to pass through. To remove your old one jack the car up and support it from the sub frame with a jack stand. Take a bottle jack at the end of the lower control arm and support it while you drive the old one out with a hammer. The ball joint tool is made to use with an impact gun on a lift but you should be able to jack the car up high enough off the ground to use an open end wrench or socket with a breaker bar. You also have to remove the shock. If you have drum brakes you may have to remove the bolts that hold the backing plate and move that out some to gain clearance for removal/installation of the new ball joint. After the new ball joint is in make sure your coil spring is located correctly and using a floor jack, jack up the lower control arm to engage the tapered end into the spindle. DO NOT TRY TO HAMMER THE NEW BALL JOINT IN AS YOU CAN DAMAGE IT. Make sure you grease the new ball joint after assembly. The job is a PITA but not bad if you have the right tools.
Good Luck
Drew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode