Charging Question - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 00, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Cool

O.k. need some help here.

Recently installed a 1 wire 100 amp alt. on my small block 69. During the day with my electric fan and stereo cranked waaaaaaaay up (3 large amplifiers) the alt. puts out 13.5 to 14 volt all day long.

At night when I turn on my lights only, 11.5 at idle and 12 at cruise. If I did my math right my headlights are drawing less than 10 amps (Slyvania Xtra Bright rated at 55/65 watts). What is going on here. When my fan kicks in its even worse.

So I guess my question is what am I looking for? I just cant believe that my lights that draw 5 times less amps than my stereo are doing this. What should I check? Thanx in advance. Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 00, 06:00 PM
Tech Team

yes but youre running tail lights,dash lights, and parking lights
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 00, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Cool

Gee thanx,

I kinda of figured that was a given.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 00, 06:00 PM
Senior Tech

Hey Sayers,

If the alt is in fact putting out 100 amps it should handle all this.you need to check or replace your alt belt.Here is how to check the alt belt with engine off if you can turn the alt by hand,making the belt slip the belt is to loose for this kind of load.When you check the belt get a grip on the alt pulley and give it all you got,and if it slips that is the problem.It don't matter how tight the belt is,if the pulleys or the belt either one are worn and the belt is bottomed out in the pulley it won't pull the load.

Larry
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 00, 04:47 AM
Senior Tech

Where are you checking the voltage? Is it really dropping that low AT the battery? If you are looking at an instrument cluster the volt meter may be connected to a source that is dropping lower than the rest of the car when the headlights are on. If your voltage is really that low, you should be noticing dimmed lights. I assume the pulleys are normal size and not under driven? Why did you change alternators? Did you have a voltage problem before you changed the alternator?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode