89 T.B. 305 fire bird no power to fuel pump relay - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 02, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

all of a sudden i got a no start condition, turns out to be no fuel pressure. the test light at the pump harness showed a real weak light (no meter available) under the car. at the pump relay under hood i had power at the relay sight at first but i shorted it by accident an now nothing. no blown fuses no power at the pump or relay. if i run a hot wire to the supply side of the relay harness or to the sending side (to pump)the pump comes on an the car fires right up. what gives why dont i have power to the relay anymore were is its fuse help!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 02, 04:04 PM
Senior Tech

Greetings tazjet1701,
when you shorted out your fuel pump relay, you blew a 20 amp fuse that protects your electronic control module from damage and shuts off the flow of fuel from the pump. I'm not sure about the firebirds, but on the '89 Iroc-z's. The fuse is mounted behind the r/h headlight next to the radiator. A haynes or chilton manual might show it in their wiring diagrams. Notice I said "MIGHT". Personally, I have not had too much luck with either one of these manuals. I spent a few extra bucks and got a set of the service manuals from the service manager at my local chevrolet dealership. One of the best investments I have made lately. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Trickster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 02, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

thanks trickster, came home today and sure enough the fuse was blown and was located behind radiator recovery tank. dont remember if fuse was blown yesterday remember pulling out, thought it was for the fan, was trying to shut off to listen for pump. changed fuse fired right up, hopefully that was the problem if it blows again, do i suspect the pump or the relay? if pump , how do i test it? thanks again for all your help.i probably would have pulled the rest of my hair out. also you are right about the manuals they suck. heard about the manuals on CD , are they any better? if anyone has one please let me know. thanks

[email protected]

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 02, 03:12 PM
Senior Tech

Greetings tazjet1701,
Glad to be of assistance. I have seen the manuals on cd and the ones I have seen are produced by Popular Mechanics. I do not know if anyone else produces them on cd. To install the ones by Popular Mechanics, you have to enter a code and a menu will pop giving you a selection of manuals (service, bulletins, technical, etc.) and you choose which one you want to install. Don't make a mistake and choose the wrong one because you only get to install one. If you want to install any of the others you have to pay extra. My set of manuals from the dealer cost me about $60.00. If you order them directly from Helms (they publish them for the dealers) it will cost you about $120.00 - $150.00. The service manager can also get you a owners manual for about $20.00 - $25.00 depending upon the area you live in. This if you don't already have a owners manual.
Now back to the problem with your weak light at the fuel pump harness. Check to make sure that your connection is not loose, then check your ground wire where it is connected to the car frame inside the car to make sure it is tight and not corroded. Also check to make sure that it is not pinched or broken anywhere. The connector comes thru the frame behind the rear seats and runs along the l/h side of the car under the door threshold. It grounds to the frame on the floor pan next to the drivers seat. To test the fuel pump for proper operation is easy, have someone stand by the fuel tank and listen for the pump to start running when you turn the key to the on position without starting the car. The pump will run for about 3 - 4 seconds. I would also check the wires going into the fuel pump relay connector for bare wires. They can cause a short and blow that fuse real quick and you will think that you have a bad pump and have a mechanic with no morals charge you a small fortune to replace the pump and then just changes the fuse. Don't get me wrong about auto mechanics, for the most part they will bend over backwards to help you and often not charge you if it is a simple fix. But it is the others that give the rest a bad name. Good luck!!!!!!!!
Sorry about the soap box!!!

The Trickster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by trickster (edited 06-11-2002).]

[This message has been edited by trickster (edited 06-12-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode