92 RS won't start - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 04, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

First thanks for looking,
I have a 1992 RS with a 305 TBI.
For a while I had a "click" when I would turn the key. I would give it a few turns and she would start up no problem. Afterward I would clean the contacts and the problem went away.

Now for the bad news, mid Feb. I got the click and tried the few turn solution. The click stoped. Nothing when the key turned. Had to get towed home.
I have replaced the starter unit, checked the battery, cleaned the contacts on the block behind the head lights, and still no start or click.
I did try "jumpering" the starter to the battery and it worked fine.
After reading the postings of the past I believe I have a broken pass key wire.
How hard is to by pass this with a by pass kit? I am not thrilled about pulling the stearing wheel because of the air bag. How hard is that?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old May 4th, 04, 05:13 PM
Senior Tech

As for air bag service, here is what I can offer from my Motor Manual covering 1992. You are wise to consider the airbag module. I can imagine that probing the electrical system with a digital multi meter to troubleshoot a problem could cause a bad to deploy. Now just imagine having a screw driver in your hand in front of your face when it goes off.

The energy reserve module can store enough energy to deploy the air bags for up to 10 minutes after the ignition is switched off.

1. Ensure wheels are pointed straight forward.
2. Turn ignition switch to lock position and remove the key.
3. Remove the SIR or AIR BAG fuse from the instrument panel fuse block.
4. Remove the left sound insullator. Remove the courtesy lamp from the sound insulator if necessary. (The sound insullator must be the panel above the pedals and below the steering colomn).
5. Disconnect Connector Position Assurance (CPA) (this must be a plastic keeper on the plug) and then the yellow two-way SIR electrical connector at the base of the steering column. (Appears to be directly below the column).
6. Remove the glove compartment door assembly, then CPA and yellow 2-way connector from passenger inflator module.

Reassembly is in the reverse. When the fuse is restored and the ignition is turned to the run position, the air bag light should flash 7 to 9 times and turn off.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode