As for air bag service, here is what I can offer from my Motor Manual covering 1992. You are wise to consider the airbag module. I can imagine that probing the electrical system with a digital multi meter to troubleshoot a problem could cause a bad to deploy. Now just imagine having a screw driver in your hand in front of your face when it goes off.
The energy reserve module can store enough energy to deploy the air bags for up to 10 minutes after the ignition is switched off.
1. Ensure wheels are pointed straight forward.
2. Turn ignition switch to lock position and remove the key.
3. Remove the SIR or AIR BAG fuse from the instrument panel fuse block.
4. Remove the left sound insullator. Remove the courtesy lamp from the sound insulator if necessary. (The sound insullator must be the panel above the pedals and below the steering colomn).
5. Disconnect Connector Position Assurance (CPA) (this must be a plastic keeper on the plug) and then the yellow two-way SIR electrical connector at the base of the steering column. (Appears to be directly below the column).
6. Remove the glove compartment door assembly, then CPA and yellow 2-way connector from passenger inflator module.
Reassembly is in the reverse. When the fuse is restored and the ignition is turned to the run position, the air bag light should flash 7 to 9 times and turn off.