Carb Drain After Shut-Off - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 02, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Question

The fuel in my carter carb drains into the engine everytime after I shut the car off. I've pulled the carb apart before after I've shut the thing off and can see the fuel level slowly dropping. If I wait a couple of minutes before starting her up, I have to hold the accelerator pedal down while cranking the engine to clear the motor of excess fuel. This also happened when I ran the car with a 750 cfm holley w/ vacuum secondaries (i.e., list 3310).

Has anyone had similar problems and can anyone tell me what's going on?

Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 02, 06:03 PM
Senior Tech

is the float set too high?

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 02, 01:21 AM
Senior Tech

Question

We're kinda in the dark here. Just exactly what type of carb are you running?

------------------
STEVE JACK
ConceptOne Pulleys and Brackets

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 02, 11:14 AM
Senior Tech

He said it's a Carter (Edelbrock maybe?)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 02, 01:17 PM
Senior Tech

Talking

Cavemate......I am totally out of it, you are right....it's there.

Regardless, if it happens to both carbs it's a fuel pressure issue. The pressure is overcoming the float pressure and dumping excess fuel into the bowls then into the carb innerds!

Put a regulator in....5lbs is perfectamundo!

Nothing else is indigneous to both.

Just my two sense!

------------------
STEVE JACK

[This message has been edited by HOTRODSRJ (edited 01-20-2002).]
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 02, 01:48 PM
Senior Tech

Ummmm....vaporlock ??? Is it "percolating" the fuel ???.......just another thought,,,,,
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 02, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 18436572:
Ummmm....vaporlock ??? Is it "percolating" the fuel ???.......just another thought,,,,,<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's a Carter 650 cfm (or something close that that) which was specified for use on a Ford. I'll check the list number if needed.

I've used one of those cheap purolator fuel pressure regulators and switched to a two port mallory unit set at 5lbs. The problem still persist.

My friend suggested that it may be vapor lock and blocked bowl vents. I'm not convinced that that is the case because I can see the fuel level dropping when I'm fussing with the jets. I think what I need to do is check the vents then pull the carb and fill the bowls with fuel and watch what happens.

Rich
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 02, 02:35 AM
Senior Tech

Talking

How can you see fuel in the bowl going down in an AFB style carb? I understand about the Holley!.

The boiling theory is good, but the blocked bowl vent(even tho would make sense if pressure was building in the carb bowl)would not be indigneous to BOTH carbs!

Is it possible that the regulator is not working properly? Reduce the pressure a pound or two to see what happens.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 02, 04:35 AM
Senior Tech

I had a Carter 625 with electric choke that was spec'd for a Ford on my Blazer. All I had to do was change the jetting a little and it ran fine. The only difference was the throttle linkage connections.

------------------
68 RS, Ash Gold,pwr brakes,pwr windows,Hounds tooth,355/T350,MSD 6AL,3200 stall Dynamic converter,3.31:1 posi,Autometer guage pod
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 02, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HOTRODSRJ:
How can you see fuel in the bowl going down in an AFB style carb? I understand about the Holley!.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

With the top of the carb removed, you can see the fuel level slowly drop. It just a guess, but I figured the fuel was draining down into the intake manifold.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 02, 01:00 AM
Senior Tech

Well, since the carb feed line is divorced from the bowls since you have the top off, the only place the fuel has to go is into the intake if indeed the fuel is leaking out of the bowl.

I don't know what the heck is going on and for BOTH of the carbs that you have to do this is.....well, unbelieveable to say the least. Each of the carbs have completely differing ways of moving fuel and storing it as well, yet the complaint is about the very same thing?

If this were fuel perculation you would readily see it in the bowls, and the fact that you have the TOP OFF elimates fuel pressure and bowl vent issues. So, frankly I am out of answers. I am not sure that each carb has an indigneous problem all it's own and one might think it's the same?

Let us know if and when you figure this mystery out?

------------------
STEVE JACK
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 02, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HOTRODSRJ:
I don't know what the heck is going on and for BOTH of the carbs that you have to do this is.....well, unbelieveable to say the least.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This leads me to believe that my observation of what's going on must be incorrect. I'll double-check to make sure that what I've described is actually happening.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode