vibrations at 60 - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 01, 05:22 AM Thread Starter

hey guys,
okay, searched for this topic but couldn't really find anything to relate to:
68 camaro conv.
fresh 327 swap from a 6 cyl.
powerglide trans.
ever since i put the new engine in, there is a vibration that comes along at about 60 to 65 mph. it smooths out after that. i'm thinking it has something to do w/ rpms because when i'm warming the car up and it is idling high i can feel the vibe, but not as intense. i don't really know how to describe it, but i'll try. smooth...vibration...vibration tapers off...smooth for a second or two then does the same thing. any clues? the car didn't do this before i did the swap, i am thinking it is drivetrain related.
thanks,
tybor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 01, 05:53 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

That sounds typical for an out of balance drive shaft and/or worn tailshaft bushing. I fixed exactly the same vibration (on a TH350 though) by having a new tailshaft bushing pressed in and having the driveshaft rebalanced.

Driveshaft balance could have gone out of whack if you changed the U-joints when you did the engine swap.

You can quick check the tailshaft bushing by getting under the car and trying to wiggle the front of the driveshaft side to side. If it moves a lot (.050" or more I think) than the bushing is gone. The yoke on the front of the driveshaft could be worn and contribute to the problem if you replace the bushing and the vibration lessens but does not completely go away.

You can pull the tailshaft pretty easily with the trans still in the car. Just be ready for a little tranny fluid.

I'd bet the vibration you get when idling / warming it up is unrelated.

Hope this helps

Eric

------------------
68 Camaro, 383 small block with TH350 trans. 12.2's and never trailered.

[This message has been edited by Eric68 (edited 10-18-2001).]
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 01, 06:03 AM Thread Starter

Hey Eric,
Man, I knew I could count on you for some good advice! I'll definitely look into the driveshaft. Thanks.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 01, 04:32 PM

If it's doing it also when your not moving with the motor running then it's motor or trans related. I mean by check the flywheel bolts. Warped flywheel.. Is your transmission the same one that was with the 6cyl? Is your trans mount bolts in and tight on the crossmember?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode