Power steering help - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 11, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Jack

Power steering help

I have installed power steering on my 67 RS small block and it does not work at all. Everything is hooked up but it's like there is no belt on the pump. Do you think it might be a bad pump? It was a rebuilt one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 11, 10:00 AM
Senior Tech
Terry

Re: Power steering help

Welcome to Team Camaro Driller54. We need more info to make a deduction. Was your '67 Camaro a non-power steering car, what ps components did you use, did you bleed the system, what kind of fluid did you use, did you change the pitman arm or rag/coupler joint, etc?

Both optimists and pessimists contribute to society. The optimist invents the automobile, the pessimist seat belts, head rests, disc brakes, and air bags.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 11, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Jack

She was a manual steering car originally. I installed rebuilt pump and gearbox, new power steering pitman arm, new rag joint and Ididit steering column. I bled the system per chevy chassis manual and had power steering for about two seconds then nothing. There is no whine or sound from the pump and no movement of fluid that I can see inside the pump tank. I used NAPA power steering fluid, got about 1.3 quarts in it.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 11, 11:39 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Test for pressure at the steering box inlet. The easiest way to do this is slightly loosen the connection to the steering box and cover with a rag. Have someone start the car, and you should quickly get a ton of fluid out of the connection. If that is the case, then suspect the steering box. If not, suspect the pump or a blocked hose. Kind of messy, but it works and is easier than removing either than swapping either part blindly.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68RS/SS Convertible L48 (350/295 Powerglide)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 11, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Jack

Very good advice. I will give it a try tonight and let you know what I find. Thanks for the nice welcome also!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 11, 08:09 PM
Senior Tech

I have run across this problem lately with rebuilt and customer reassembled power steering pumps.

When you remove the power steering hose assembly from the back of the pump, you will have access to the discharge fitting #24. It unscrews from the back of the pump reservoir and housing. The o-ring #23 in the picture is assembled onto the fitting. Behind the fitting there should be a flow control valve assembly #6. And behind the valve assembly should be a spring #5.

The spring should be the first part that is reinstalled into the pump discharge port. Then the flow control valve. Orient the valve so that the hex shaped nut with the screened port goes into the pump first against the spring. Then the discharge fitting threads into the back of the pump. The discharge fitting should be pushing the control valve against the spring.

If the control valve is backwards there will be little if any oil flow out of the pump. If the spring and control valve are reversed you won't have any oil flow.

Jim
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 11, 11:36 PM
Senior Tech
darrell

yep if all this was done and right then it just had too much air--let it set for 10 min after starting and try again
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 11, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Jack

I took the high pressure hose off and let it run into an empty bottle. There was a good flow of oil but not what I would call a lot of pressure. Not a ton of oil. The high pressure hose should be attached to the fitting closest to the engine correct? Thanks for the great note on assembly of the high pressure valve! What next?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 11, 07:06 PM
Senior Tech
Morgan

Garage

I just went through this, the valve was installed backwards. The pressure hose is the lower one, closest to the engine. They are different size and will not interchange.

69 Copo 9560 ZL-1 automatic [email protected], 1.95 on f70-14 polyglas F.AS.T. Race June 2016
69 Copo 9560 ZL-1 4spd [email protected] 1.93 60ft on F70/14
PSMCDR 2014
71LS6 vette [email protected] PSMCDR 2012 SOLD
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 11, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Jack

I just took the pump off and checked the valve and it was installed properly. Can the hydraulic pump be bad?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 11, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
Jack

Great news! I took the tank off of the pump and 3 large pieces of metal fell out. The casting was broken and a retaining ring was out. I replaced it with a new rebuilt pump, checked the high pressure valve of course, and everything works great. Thank you all for your help!!!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 11, 12:29 PM
Senior Tech
Wayne

Garage

Good for you!
I just finished battling my system trying to get all of the air out of it. I know how good it feels to finally get things sorted out.

Wayne
67 RS 350/350T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode