68 Camaro...Bad fuel gauge or sending unit???? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 01, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Spent the entire day trying to track down the problem with my fuel gauge...The needle is pined at approx 3 on the clock(past full)..dropped a full tank(yeah I know why full...Didn't know it was full)..Well noticed That the ground wire was loose and that the sending unit wire was missing...I wired a temporary wire to the sending unit and wired everything according to the wiring diagram on the book(middle terminal on the sending unit to the tan wire in the trunk and the black wire on the sending unit to a ground) and the needle still sits pined...If I reverse the wiring the needle goes all the way to E...If I wire it the way the book says It goes way past F.....Do you guys think I need another sending unit...Also anyone know or have the correct terminal for the sending unit(the terminals that connect to the gas tank and enter the trunk and connects in the trunk...Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 01, 04:08 PM
Senior Tech

This page by The Chevelle Engineer has a real good troubleshooting procedure for the gas gauge.
rick
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 01, 02:36 AM

Try grounding the sender wire to the gauge. If the gauge reads empty, chances are the sender is defective. This system has a rising fuel level w/ resistance. That menas that the gauge should read past full when disconnected, empty when grounded. Ray

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 01, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for the replies...I traced it to a bad sending unit...Replaced sending unit gauge works...Longest part was removing the fuel...After that it took a solid 20 minutes on jack stands..Again thanks for all the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode