What is normal exhaust temp - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 00, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

We are having problems with out 90 Chevy 454 dually truck. New motor. Thorley Headers are glowing red when held at a constant rpm. Changed all sensors, changed cams (CompuCam), checked injectors, new exhaust (3-1/2in no cat.), timing varied without result, new fuel pump, out of ideas! No one can help, they just tell us that we will melt the motor if we keep running it. HELP

We have tried it all (fuel,timing,cam,sensors). The truck runs absolutely great. It runs cool, except for the exhaust glow. Thorley said that the headers should not glow & the normal temp should only run around 900. But, they have no idea why it would be doing that. They said that it sounds like we have tried everything, but they have no idea how to help.

Measuring the temp. outside of the header read 1200 F. Inside header reads 1150 F. Is this a normal temp? Would wrapping the header help with the problem? Everything else is working normal ( the truck runs great), but the headers look like they will melt apart. Any info is greatly appreciated! Thank you!
-Teamkozy
kozyracing.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 00, 06:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Have you tried changing the computer chip?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 00, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

We have talked with many aftermarket chip makers, they tell us the stock chip should not cause this problem. we can custom order achip for around $500 but they wond garrenty it will fix the lean condition.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 00, 04:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

With the exhaust change and no convertor I would think it would have to be lean. Do they offer an adjustable fuel pressure regulator for those systems? A couple more pounds of fuel pressure might fix it.

If you go with a prom, you need to get a custom one done, not a generic, "one size fits all" type. Contact Steve Cole at the Turbo Shop; I guarantee he can help you. Unfortunately I do not have his phone number. He is located in Southern California; used to be next to the L.A. airport but has moved further south.

Another source for a custom prom would be www.tpis.com.

Jody

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 00, 07:16 PM

Had a buddy of mine this happened to and it ended up that his intake manifold was warped and was sucking air like crazy. Maybe try checking for leaks?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 00, 07:39 AM
Senior Tech

I was going to say the same thing. My carb had a rip in one of the vacuum plugs and both my manifolds were really glowing. It really won't take much of a leak either.

------------------
------------------
Mark

1992 Firebird 355/Six Speed (Soon to be LT1)
1991 RS 350 / 700-R4
1987 Toyota Pickup 383 / 500 + HP 10.963 @ 119.95 Slicks / 11.997 @ 114.23 Radials
http://personal.lig.bellsouth.net/~racer383/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode