Trickster can you help !!..Keys for the camaro, Please ignore the other messages - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 01, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy

I need help here; I lost the key to my 91 RS which has that chip on the key. I called the GM roadside assistance they gave me a case # which I gave to the local dealer. The thing is that the GM people told me that the car has no chip " I think they called it VATS?" anyways the blank key they cut for the doors work on all locks, the ignition key does not. It would not even unlock the steering wheel. Now I have a corvette with the same set up, the key with chip is wider and longer than the blank that the dealer cut for me. The ignition itself on the camaro is setup for VATS deal; I mean you can tell just from looking at it. NOW the question is if the GM service said no VATS the dealer seem to agree with them. Is there away of taking that stupid thing out with out a key?
2) Is there away of finding out steering column had been changed?
3) I know the only solution is to call the locksmith and have tem figure it out ($200 later). But I am hoping some of you diehard camaro owners have a solution.
PS. I have used Chevy roadside assistance before and they are amazing and on the money.
lost_my_keys_in_tenino idiot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 01, 06:08 AM
Senior Tech

VATS = Vehicle Anti Theft System
Can You remember if Your original key had a raised plastic bump with brass line towards the end of the "handle end" of the key?
GM used a resistor and a set of contacts in the key itself. I believe there were 9 different values (correct Me if wrong Guys)
Your dealer should have been able to make You a key from the info given from roadside assist.
Sounds like Someone changed the lock cylinder.
I thought they all had vats on those cars in those years...(once again I may be wrong its been a few years since I worked at a GM dealer)
If Your key did not have the resistor , someone probably soldered a resistor in the harness if it was originally equiped.
You will have to have the lock cylinder replaced or get a locksmith to make a key, once the lock cylinder is removed.
If Your car did have the resistor in the key You will have to take the car to a chevy dealer....they have a "decoding box" that will figure out the correct resistance value for the system....Hope this helps....

Addition to Christmas list.....spare keys!!!

Billy

[This message has been edited by 18436572 (edited 12-23-2001).]
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 01, 03:45 PM
Senior Tech

Cool

Greetings, SY_91RS.
Welcome to the site, we will try to assist you. From about 1989 thru the present time, camaros with the 5.0 and 5.7 liter engines came equipped with the VAT system. There are 15 different resistor codes that GM used to code these keys. Couple of questions to help us get started here. 1. are you the original owner? 2.before you misplaced (I like that word better than lost) your keys, did you get a security light for about 3 seconds when you started your car. It is located to the left of the check engine soon light.
Now if you are the original owner, there should be key codes on the paper work that you received from the dealer. You can check to see if your ignition has the vats by looking under the dash at the steering column for two wires hooked to a connector. One wire is colored black and white, the other is yellow and purple. They usually have a heat shrink insulation that is colored black or orange. I would also look in my center console for the RPO codes, it is a label mounted on the passenger side of the console. The code for the VAT system is UA6. Mine is an '89 Iroc with the VAT system, however RPO UA6 is not listed on my sheet since it is included as part of a package 4 RPO. However, give your RPO codes to the service or parts department and have them look it up. I have sometimes found it easier to deal with the parts department rather than the service department on some issues. Besides, they have access to the illustrated break-down of your car. Hope this helps you some!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode