Gas Fumes - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 02, 06:20 AM Thread Starter

Hello Everyone,

Has anyone had a problem with gas fumes on a 67 Camaro, when parked in your garage?

I know the cap is vented. I have a new cap installed, but the filler pipe is original, as is the rubber sleeve that covers it. The fuel line is new #6 AN Hose to a Barry Grant filter, and from the filter to the fuel pump. There are no leaks on the tank, hoses, fittings or the pump. Could it be the seal between the new cap and the old filler pipe? Or does this type of cap just vent off all the time? That would seem odd to me, as it creates a HUGE safety concern. Please HELP me resolve this issue.

Thanks,
Vic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 02, 09:39 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jack

Yes !

And the one that smells worst has a new rubber hose between the filler neck/tank. I think there may be some fumes coming from the gas cap. I have 0 leaks but can smell gas from one of the 67's. Someone else recently told me they had the same problem on their 67.

What about the sending unit, is there a gasket there that could be bad ?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 02, 12:06 PM
Senior Tech

My 69' does the same thing. Brand new tank and sending unit. The system is open with a vented cap unlike the new stuff with charcoal canisters and check engine lights that will come on if the gas cap isn't tight.
I was really concerned the other day when I was welding the exhaust up back there. But it's been in the garage all summer with 100 degree heat and I haven't noticed a "build up" of fumes occuring during the daytime when everything is closed up. I do have a power vent in my attic over the ceiling right above where the Camaro sits in the attached garage so that may pull some of those fumes out/circulate the air.

Only options I really see is to vent your garage.

I would do that if I had fuel fired water heater, furnace, or cloths dryer, not saying electric doesn't make sparks too. Better safe than sorry.

Keeping it close to full may help also.

Don't forget the bowl on the carburetor is vented to atmosphere so that adds to the equation also.

I'm interested to hear what others have to say.

Goodluck, Drew

[This message has been edited by drew69 (edited 11-20-2002).]

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 02, 01:10 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

If this is a recent development and did not happen before I would be worried. If you are a new owner not used to the 30 yr old auto technology experience, it might just be normal. We are used to the newer vehicles that have systems to control the fumes but these old jalopies will never smell like a late model vehicle.

-Mark.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 02, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Everyone,

Well at least it's not just my car. I guess I will install an exhaust fan in the garage. After all, in 30 years I have not heard of one blowing up in anyones garage due to excessive gas fumes.

Vic
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 02, 06:19 PM
Senior Tech

Welcome Vicburn,

Just go to right hand upper corner of page and click search. Type in ie: Gas Fumes or Gas Tank and hit go. You should get alot of archived post on this subject. I have the problem too it seems to be the rubber hose in line at the tank.

------------------
1967 Camaro coupe Deluxe interior LT-1 350 w/ 4spd. M-21 trans and 12 bolt rear.

http://images.cardomain.com/installs...03_25_full.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode