exaust - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 03, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

I got an 83 camaro and i am having problems with a y pipe. i have the V8 and cant seem to get a y pipe that works. i am wondering what years the pipe can be interchanged and where i can find one used. i put headers on and the y pipe was about an inch from the oil pan and caused a rod knock. now i changed the motor but dont have the original y pipe. also can i use headers on that body style?

[This message has been edited by 83 camaro w/problems (edited 01-06-2003).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 03, 02:01 PM
Senior Tech

Try Midas. They don't yank you around. They aren't expensive either and that's rare over here. Maybe tell them you want dual exhaust. They have all the pipe and parts. http://www.midas.com/locator.html
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 03, 04:45 PM
Senior Tech

how did headers cause a rod knock?
and, please don't TYPE WITH THE CAPS LOCK ON. that is considered yelling, but won't get anyone's attention.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see dirty pics here of a car that gets driven http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 03, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

sorry about the caps lock thing... my y pipe was about an inch away from the oil pan and within 15 miles i got a rod knock. i put a lot of time into the motor and thought that the header would help get more hp but didnt realize the y pipe was too close. i got a new motor and still want to use these headers i paid $100 for.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 03, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

snatchin gears... i heard u cant put dual exhaust on a f body. but im not sure
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 03, 04:21 PM
Senior Tech

A pal with a 90 has the flow master arrangement of dual exhaust. That rod knocking noise might just be an exhaust leak. Leaks sometimes sound like a valve tapping or rod thumping. The car I just bought tried that trick on me. One of the valves on the right side couldn't of been loose since the rocker arm was completly off. Then the noise went away after adding a full turn to more than a few header bolts. One guy told me he believes in nothing but copper gaskets for headers. He also told me you should soak the thick paper looking ceramic gaskets. I don't see anything about soaking in the direction but I figure it would probably make more of a form fix. Oh well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode