How can I get more power out of my 327 RS? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 00, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Cool

I have a 67 327 Camaro RS. The car is pretty much stock, except for a new 4 barrel edelbrok carb, and electronic egnition. Any ideas on how to get more power out of her? I'm looking to spend about a $1000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 00, 11:17 AM
Senior Tech

New intake and cam would be a good start and under $1000.

------------------
68 RS, Ash Gold,pwr windows,Hounds tooth
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 00, 01:19 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

Does it have a Powerglide transmission? If so take the balance of your $1k and get a nice street/strip TH350 three speed auto. It will make a huge difference for an average street car.

A 700-R4 overdrive would be nice also but may ruin your budget. Yeah, like I've ever completed a project under budget!

------------------
Click here to see see my car and hear 5-speeds. http://www.geocities.com/casanoc

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 00, 06:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Yes to gears. My 68, 327-275-powerglide is a completely different car now that it has a muncie 4 speed. I did it last winter for $1300 total, thanks to a great buy on the trans at ebay>

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 00, 06:34 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

hmmm, if your 327 was originally a 2 bbl, performance will be a bit harder to get, cam and heads limit these engines hard. But trashing the powerglide is still a good start, and t350's are pretty cheap.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 00, 03:21 AM
Tech Team

Goat, why dont you give us more info on the drivetrain.

Off the cuff, recurve distributor, rejet carb, but you gotta know what you're doing or you might lose power.

And the 700R4 suggestions are excellent.

------------------
Gene C.
67 Chevelle SS 427/L88
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 00, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Lightbulb

For the drive train, I have the original auto power glide and a new edlbrock 4bb electronic chock carb. I was going to take the advise and get a th350, but now I think I should start at the exhast manifolds. The right one has a new leak, and it looks like the left one is for a 350. What do you think? Also, what do you think of Thermostatic air cleaners? Its going to get cold here in Seattle. Do you think it will help keep the choke from working so hard? Or will it slow down the air flow too much.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 00, 11:13 AM

Lightbulb

swap it for a 350? Just kidding. Actually, you could build a ram air setup out of sheetmetal and heater ducting hose. Run the hose under or around the radiator and install the pickups in the holes in the valance panel. I took off the front bumper and the supports when I did this (to make room for the brake cooling ducts that I also installed in the valance panel), but the ram air should work with one on.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 00, 09:35 PM
Senior Tech

If you want to try a set of headers try a set of Hooker or Headman's made for cars with ground clearance problems(lowerd). My friend had problems hitting the pipes with a regular 1 5/8 inch header.His 68 was'nt lowerd at all. He has since lowerd it 2 inches w/droped spindles and is using those headers mentioned above and says he doesn't have a problem now. They are close to his power steering though. They won't give as much power as a medium or long tube set, but I feel they are worth it unless your main objective is BRUTE-HORSEPOWER. OH-YAAA

[This message has been edited by mutant 68 (edited 08-26-2000).]
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 00, 04:57 AM
Tech Team

GoatJJ, in Seattle, run a decent thermostat 180 or even 195. See if the motor likes the higher temps or not.

Headers will help. In lieu of the T350, you might want to try and dig up a 200R4 or 700R4. Someone mentioned that he 200R4 is a direct bolt in for the PG. I dont know. You might want to check the sister site, www.chevelles.com , for more info.

The PG has a 1.80 1st gear and a 1.00 2nd. The T350 has a 2.5X 1st gear and the OD trannies have over a 3.00 1st gear. Any of these choices will give you alot more acceleration than the PG.

If you have a high rear gear ( 3.30 or lower numerically), the OD tranny might be teats on a bull hog. Stick with the cheaper T350.

------------------
Gene C.
67 Chevelle SS 427/L88
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 00, 03:50 AM
Senior Tech

I have the same engine / trans issues. mine was a 327/210 2bbl, with a PG, more or less a PIG. If you dig into it , go for the guns and have the heads sent out, and the block ,get new rings. yadda yadda all the good stuff. stick a nice Crane cam, with a littler higher lift and duration, get a higher stall converter (3K area) and a TH350 with a shift kit, some ceramic coated headers and some dark sunglasses.

because when U cool, the sun shine on you 24 hours a day...

------------------
Chris's 67 RS can be seen at http://www.geocities.com/macphreak4evr/index.html
JOIN THE CAMARO NET WEBRING! www.geocities.com/macphreak4evr/webring/webringjoin.htm !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode