NO Crank! PLS help - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 01, 02:19 AM
rogleete

My car won't crank. one sec i pull it out of the garage then when I go to turn it back on...nothing, it turns over but won't fire. Checked power at the coil and got nothing. checked the wires and therer all hooked up fine. has msd6a box. could the box be bad? please help, daily driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 01, 02:55 AM
Senior Tech

Assuming your battery has a good charge on it, you could have a bad battery cable, corroded or loose cable connections at the starter or the ground (block), or even a bad ignition switch. Make sure your cable connections are clean and tight. Is the starter even clicking when the key is turned?

------------------
375hp 78 Chevy truck
77 Chevy Nova
95 Chevy Lumina 3.4L
and building a 78 Nova
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 01, 04:13 AM
rogleete

Yes the starting is turning over...the car makes the general noise it does when you try to crank it..it just won't start. I haven't checked to see if the plugs are getting any spark...will do that today after classes. But the plugs are all new, so its not the actual plugs. i think it has to do with the msd6a box. but i dont' know what, the box is getting power when the key is turned on. but no power to the coil. i tried a dif. coil so its not the coil itself

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 01, 01:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

Check your MSD's ground cable.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 01, 03:31 PM
David Pozzi

If you have an msd box with the point type distributor, check the points. The box reduces voltage through the points, and the rubbing block can wear down and screw up the dwell.
Also any little foreign objects can interupt the flow of juice between the contacts. Dust or oil can prevent power from getting to the msd box.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 01, 05:59 AM
Senior Tech

Learn how to jump around the box (msd website) I had a 69 camaro with a 6A and it crapped out on me, it just shut off while I was driving down the road. after trying to start her for a while, pumping cursing, the whole trip I jumped around the MSD, then i tried to start it again ....
BANG!!! what a backfire!!! the intake was loaded with fuel from trying to start, it ran after that, and i rebuilt the carb, changed the MSD ans away I went...
John

ps ypou southern guys are funny, when you say crank, you mean run, when us yankees say crank we mean turn over.
"it wont crank"... try the battery and starter... but it turns over fine... huh??"

[This message has been edited by 68ragtop (edited 03-10-2001).]
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 01, 03:48 AM
Senior Tech

hillbilly University
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 01, 04:03 AM

Check the main hot wire comming off the box mine broke 1 time and would not start get a voltege meter it helps with theas cars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode