Power Steering Pump or Steering Box..that is the question - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 03, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

how can i determine which is bad?
my steering pump is full but it contantly whines, and the steering is sluggish especially at an idle, when im driving its ok..i recently replaced the high pressure hose, and did drive without fluid for a few hours...but how can i tell what is bad?

1984 Chevy Camaro (305)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 03, 05:29 AM
Senior Tech

Not sure but I think I remember a purge the air trick for P/S. While rolling a little to keep from screwing the tires up do a few full cycles of turns to left and right to the steering stops. That might solve the sluggishness if there is air in the box. Your belt might be loose also.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 03, 01:26 PM
Senior Tech

Snatch'nGears is correct...try to purge the air. I would add to his comments and say to lift the front end off the ground. It will reduce system pressures and minimize compressing any air that is trapped. Keep those air bubbles as big as possible and they'll stand a better chance of being purged.

-dnult

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 03, 02:17 PM
Senior Tech

Question

Are you saying you ran the car for a couple of hours, without any power steering fluid, and the belt still on? It only takes minutes, not hours, to burn up a power steering pump when you run out of fluid, trust me, it's happened to me twice. I'd bet the pump is toast........KZ
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 03, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Yes a couple hours..i had to drive to the parts store to get the new hose, but it worked fine for months until now. i also noticed it was only being held on with one bolt the other night, so i added 2 more bolts that were missing and tightened it all up,
what is the proper procedure for purging the air? i remember someone once posted a diagram/instructions for this process. would anyone have it?

1984 Chevy Camaro (305)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 03, 06:49 PM
Senior Tech

get everything hooked up, and jack the front wheels off the ground. with the engine OFF fill the fluid, and s-l-o-w-l-y turn the wheel lock to lock about 10 times, and recheck the level. top off as necessary. repeat as many times as it takes to get everything full. then, start it up and do essentially the same thing, but don't hold it at full lock for more than a half a second or so. that's hard on the pump. this should get everything all primed up and most air out. hopefully, you wil lbe lucky and the pump won't be toast.
i had the same deal on my 78 Ford LTDII that i got back from my cousin- he drove it for a year and a half with the PS belt hooked up, but no fluid in it from a cracked high pressure line. threw on a new line, filled it, and it works sweet. i can't explain it either...
oh, make sure to use power steering fluid, and resist to use up that quart of Dexron 2 you have had on the shelf for 3 years. ps fluid is cheap, and you really don't need that much of it.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 03, 06:59 PM
Senior Tech

Hehehe. Always busy. Deman oops I mean Dnult says lift the front tires off the ground if you can then with the pump full to manufacturers specifications with the proper power steering fluid do the following. Turn the wheel back and forth till you get to the end of travel that is allowed by the system. You know the regular place you'ld start hearing ererereer and the wheel wont turn any more. Don't hold the wheel at the end of travel for any length of time just keep going from the far left to right back and forth and that should have the system purged of air after around 3 cycles of back and forth. I'd do it till I'm happy like 6 or 10 times or the moise has a different tune. Or maybe till the birds start looking at me strange. Check your fluid level after doing it in case a bunch of air was purged. If the level dropped off the stick I'd do the purge trick again. Having the front wheels off the ground is your best bet for perfection.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 03, 07:05 PM
Senior Tech

Boy was I slow making that reply. Nova is right about engine off. I remember one time well maybe a few I didn't care to shut down and cussed while fluids of some sort were getting blown around. Sterring, trans and brake fluids eat paint. Even the trade winds gusting to 30+ can tick a guy off pouring stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode