Convertible Pump Help - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 02, 03:04 AM Thread Starter

I have a 1969 RS Convertible and am having pump problems. I have an aftermarket convertible pump in the car now. The pump can be broken down into two parts. One part is the pump the other is where the fluid is held. Where the two parts connect there is a large O-ring. My problem is that the O-ring keeps popping/bursting out from its seat. This of course allows all of the fluid to run out, disabling my top.

There is a bolt on the fluid side that connects the two halves together. It has a three-sided head. I did notice that there are three washers under this bolt. The washers cause the bolt to push down harder on the O-ring so it does not pop out. I added another washer but this does not seem to help.

Any ideas?
I guess I could replace the O-ring but it looks fine.
Thanks,
John

------------------
69 RS Convertible Camaro, 350/350. Orignal red with black top and interior. Hotchkis suspension.
http://www.ragersworld.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 02, 04:46 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

I can't help on the pump question (mine is manual), but I love those seats you have. Who makes them and where did you get them? Also, how dificult was it to mount them?

------------------
Dave68RS/SS Convertible
L48 (350/295 Powerglide)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 02, 04:53 AM Thread Starter

Dave,
The seats are Recaro's. I bought them from a friend who ran a local speed shop for $400. He often came across deals there from customers who wanted to get rid of stuff. I have seen similar seats go up on eBay for around the same price.
The driverís seat is a couple notches above the passenger seat but they both have the same cloth.
The seats came with basic mounting brackets. I cut off the mounting feet then welded them in the correct location for my car. It took about 30 min to mount them.
The seats are a few years old and the fabric is a bit loose with a couple of small burn holes it them. I am planning on recovering them soon.
Those seats would make a Yugo feel like a racecar.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 02, 09:12 AM
Jeff

Try looking over some of these posts.
https://www.camaros.net/cgi-bin/forum/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number=A%3A 000003&SUBMIT=Go

DjD--- Some people might not know you have a CONVT section started since it can only be gotten to by the HOP TO toolbar, after you have looked at a topic. I dont see CONVERTABLE listed in any of the sub-titles on the Main Forum page. Might want to put one there like the rest of the topics
------------------
Jeff 67/68(2) & 69 RS's
65 442 http://hobbystage.net/camaro/hawaiiancamaro/index.html http://www.hawaiianislandcamaros.org

[This message has been edited by HawaiianCamaro (edited 09-20-2002).]
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 02, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Jreager, the only few things I may suggest is to measure the groove the O-ring fits into, OD, ID, and cross sectional diameter of the O-ring itself and go to a hydraulic/pnuematic repair shop and present them with the same info to match the same size. Get a BUNA-N seal material. Any shop making P/S, A/c, etc. hoses should be able to help. If no help, e-mail me and I'll try.

The other sggestion, after install of O-ring, fill the reservior with oil, whatever the manual recomends, then after bleeding all the air out, retract the rods, top off the fluid, then install the plug to the reservior. This way, when the cylinders are extended, it will pull a vacuum on the reservior,thus, saving the O-ring. I bleed the cylinders by disconnecting them from the top, having an assistant work the switch, I hold the cylinders in hand and upright the end being used to extract the air, several times.

May I offer the suggestion, after bleeding, and install, and the season is over for drop tops, disconnect the cylinders from the frame and actually retract the cylinders. This places the cylinder rod inside the cylinder protecting it from rusting over the winter so as it doesn't tear the rod seal next spring. Use emery paper to clean/polish the rod.

Try Wyatt Seals on Broad Street(?) in Richmond.

------------------
Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph

[This message has been edited by Everett#2390 (edited 09-20-2002).]
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 02, 02:42 AM Thread Starter

Everett,
Great information. Thank you for posting. I put three washers under the reservoir bolt. This allowed the reservoir to tighten the two parts together, compressing the o-ring. It seems to have worked for now. The pump that I am using is an aftermarket pump. The mounts do not line up with the original mounts. I will have to fabricate a bracket to finish off the installation.

Thanks again for the help.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 02, 05:08 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HawaiianCamaro:
Try looking over some of these posts.
https://www.camaros.net/cgi-bin/forum...0003&SUBMIT=Go

DjD--- Some people might not know you have a CONVT section started since it can only be gotten to by the HOP TO toolbar, after you have looked at a topic. I dont see CONVERTABLE listed in any of the sub-titles on the Main Forum page. Might want to put one there like the rest of the topics
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll can pass off the request to Al and see if it's feasable. There are problems with archives when threads link to other threads and when pics are no longer on the web... We'll see what he says.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode