temp rises when im just idleing - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 03, 04:31 AM Thread Starter

my cars temp rises slowly rises when im stopped at a light or just siting there idleing, when i start to drive the temp slowly goes backdown to normal... what is wrong can someone help please.

1991 z28<br />305Tpi<br />work in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 03, 07:28 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Sounds like an airflow issue. Are you sure the fan is working at idle? Is your fan shroud damaged or missing? How hot does the temp get at idle, or does it just continue to rise?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 03, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

ya the temp just keeps on rising when im just idleing. i have no idea what is happening. to check my fan do i turn the car on and then pop the hood to see if the fans are running.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 03, 04:33 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Yes, you should do a visual inspection of the fan while the motor is running. First though check your radiator for obstructions (insects/ dirt) before you start the motor. If there is any apparent problem correct that first by washing with pressurized water. Possible other causes of air flow malfunction are a worn out fan clutch (replace the fan clutch or try a fixed fan)or a missing air dam below the radiator.

There could also be a problem with your water pump- if it is badly worn but not completely dead it could have trouble maintaining good water flow at idle, but as rpm increases it might move enough water to cool the engine. A pressure check is the best way to diagnose a bad water pump. You might need to take the car to a shop if you do not have access to a correct pressure gauge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 03, 04:34 AM Thread Starter

the fans are not spinning when the car is on one of the fans turns on at about 240 but by then it is to late the car already starts to over heat. where is the fan motor and stuff located. thanks

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 03, 07:14 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Are you running aftermarket electric fans mounted to the radiator? If this is the case then there may be a temperature sensor that has gone bad somewhere...or the setting is incorrect (too high). Without knowing what you have in there and how it is wired I don't know if I can be of much more help. Can you post any photos of your setup?

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 03, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

I emailed you(choptop) pictures of my fans. please take alook and tell me what you think.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 03, 12:50 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

I have uploded your pictures onto the net (thanks Alex!) so others can see them also.

Unfortunately I do not know exactly how your fans are configured and whether the temperature sensor is within the fan body or attached elswhere in the engine bay. I suspect either the sensor is faulty or incorrectly adjusted- you might be able to identify the sensor by tracing the power wires coming off the fans. You also might be able to wire the fans on a switch so they can be turned on remotely, or to turn constantly whenever the car is running. That should solve the problem unless the fans' motors are shot. Wish I could be of more help...anyone else?

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 03, 02:03 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Doesn't look like there are any wires going to the driver side fan. The passenger side fan's wires and convoluted tubing are pretty obvious and look like they plug into the bottom of the fan motor housing. Wheres the other fans harness?

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 03, 03:38 AM Thread Starter

how do i change or adjust the temp sensor. I just like to say thanks to all the people trying to help me....thanks

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 03, 08:53 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Iceman, do you see any junction blocks or small boxes attached to the harness coming off the fans? If there is a temp sensor it will be connected to the fans somewhere along the harness unless the switch is mounted directly on the fan motor. Do you know which manufacturer made the fans? Can you see any names or model numbers on the fans? You may be able to Google the names/ numbers and come up with some answers from the manufacturer!

Perhaps someone else here might know which fans you have by sight alone.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 03, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

can anyone tell me where my cooling fan sensor is on a 91 z28 with a 305 that has tpi on it. please help.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 03, 06:45 AM
a67

Quote:
Originally posted by IceMan91z28:
can anyone tell me where my cooling fan sensor is on a 91 z28 with a 305 that has tpi on it. please help.
Each fan is controlled differently. One fan is ECM controlled, while the other is A/C and head temperature controlled. The head temperature switch is in the pass side head between cyl 6 & 8. The connector typically dries out and breaks apart (from the heat). One of the fan relays may also be bad. The ECM controlled fan should come on at a lower temperature then the head switch controlled fan.

Surf over to the www.thirdgen.org site and browse the 'cooling it down' board. Lots of good info in the sticky's at the top. Can also search for particulars.

Bob.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 03, 04:57 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Typically both fans should turn on when the air conditioning is on. Give it a test to see if the fans work. If so, then the typical 90's overheating at idle is related to missing plastic under and around the engine compartment. Your 3rd gen has a very small grill area and chevy used plastic to sheild the engine from ground heat (when sitting still) as well as helping to route the cool air through the rad core and around the engine. I also don't see any kind of a shroud on the radiator, just the core and fans and that can cause the same problem...

Has the car been worked on recently and parts left off? Did the problem just occure?

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode