Ticking valves - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 01, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

I have a 69 rebuilt (stock for now) 350 block in my 67. It's pretty new just barely broken in. All of the sudden the valves have been tickin on the passenger side. You can't really hear it at idle but once you speed it up a little you can.

Any suggestions on what to do?

Down the road I was planning on putting better heads, cam and intake on it once I get the money so hopefully it will be fine til then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 01, 08:12 PM

I remember once I had purchased a rebuilt motor and run into the same problems. After awhile, I discovered that one head had 'pinned' rocker arm studs, and the other did not, but the non-pinned studs would pull out (enough to make noise) underload. Which required valve adjustments with a hydralic cam !?!!. Go figure. I evidentually changed to heads after I became tired of doing it once a week.

Goes to show you never know if the guy who built your motor pays attention to detail.

Food for thought

Tom
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 01, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

The thing is it wasn't ticking til recently, but it does have less than 2000 miles on it. After I got it broken in I took off the valve covers and made sure the heads were torqued the right weight then I adjusted the valves again.

I think it's probly my fault because on one I adjusted it a little too tight then I fixed it right away(didn't drive on it) but would that cause a tick? Maybe a F'ed lifter?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 01, 01:44 PM
Senior Tech

your best bet is to go get a set of those oil blocker things at pep boys , or autozone , or wherever, they go over the rockers to keep the oil from splattering all over the place, then check the tension, start it up , let it run, back it off untill it ticks, then go from there, it may not be the one your messing with, while your loosening them , check the pushrods, sometimes builders get cheap and use junk pushrods, they can break or mash up too...

------------------
Chris's 67 RS can be seen at http://www.67rs.com
JOIN THE CAMARO NET WEBRING!
http://nav.webring.yahoo.com/hub?ring=camaronet&list
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 01, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I wish I could find some of those plastic clip ons to adjust the valves with, everytime I ask someone in those stores about em they give me that look like "I have no idea what this guy just asked about but I'll try to play it off."

Anyhow I just get the oil everywhere. This last weekend I took off the covers and adjusted the whole side. I backed it off til it ticks then forward til it barely stops and then 1/4 turn. The whole frickn side and it still does it. Maybe detonation? But it didn't do it before is what really gets me.

I could replace the pushrods but how do I check em to see if they're good?

It's always somethin'

[This message has been edited by 67stock (edited 01-18-2001).]
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 01, 05:03 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

A stupid question but are you sure it's a lifter tick and not exhaust gasket? When you readjusted them, are you saying the final 1/4 turn didn't eliminate the ticking?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 01, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

When I adjusted them I backed em off til they ticked like usual then the 1/4 turn forward and it stopped each valve from the ticking when backing em off.

An exhaust leak crossed my mind as well. I replaced the gaskets but do you use some kind of gasket sealer for exhaust? I figured it wouldn't use the same gasket sealent as say valve covers would it?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 01, 02:18 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Check the ends of your pushrods.. If they are getting hammered well you see where I am going!! How much did you have to re-torque the heads? Enought to loosen the rockers a bit?

------------------
...Dennis
The Cars:
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
The Club:
Camaros Limited Nor-Cal
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 01, 03:55 PM
Senior Tech

What cam are you using? If it is stock then ticking shouldnt be a problem, but if you have a cam dynamics energizer series (now crane energizer, same thing though), particularly the 266 grind, then you may be fighting this all the time until you put some poly locks on it...for some reason the 266 seems to beat the heck out of the valvetrain causing the rocker nuts to back off. Other than that, heres a couple other things you need to check. Did you use new rocker nuts? Rocker nuts are made to pinch the rocker stud to help keep the valves adjusted...however, if they have been taken on and off a few times they lose their grip and will back off in a short amount of time...you may just need new ones (use polylocks instead though...they arent as hard on the threads and you can lock them down which keeps them in adjustment longer). Those stock type rocker nuts have a tendacy to chew up the threads of the studs...unfortunately, you would have to pull the heads and have screw in studs added to fix a damaged stud. One last thing...if the valves start clattering again yank the pushrods and roll them on something flat...a piece of plate glass works best...and make sure one or more isnt bent. You said you had one of the valves adjusted too tight...this can cause a pushrod to bend fairly easily. Be sure and check them all.

------------------
375hp 78 Chevy truck
77 Chevy Nova
95 Chevy Lumina 3.4L
and building a 78 Nova

[This message has been edited by travis (edited 01-18-2001).]
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 01, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Well I'm gonna get to fixing this thing in the next couple days. But i have one question; do I need some kind of exhaust gasket sealent for exhaust gaskets?
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 01, 03:00 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

No. Use a quality gasket. Fel-Pro has a good product.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 01, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Well I took the valve cover off the one side and took out the pushrods one by one. They don't seem worn enough to replace at least and seem straight(I rolled em on a piece of glass), but one looks like it was rubbing on something where it comes out of the cyl head. The ends aren't damaged either.

The one that looked like it was rubbing on something seems like it wasn't turning like it should. Should I replace this one or should I just put it in upside down? It isn't bent.

Also, is there a way to adjust the valves without turning on the engine?

[This message has been edited by 67stock (edited 01-22-2001).]
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 01, 04:58 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Thumbs up

Take a look see at Tech Reference here https://camaros.net/techref/ #17 is the one you want... So many over look all that is available right here on Team Camaro.

------------------
...Dennis
The Cars:
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
The Club:
Camaros Limited Nor-Cal
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 01, 11:49 PM
Senior Tech

You said that one of the pushrods wasnt rotating like the others...is that the same one that keeps loosing its adjustment? If that is the case, it sounds like the cam is going flat on that lobe. Hopefully I am wrong, but it isnt that uncommon.

------------------
375hp 78 Chevy truck
77 Chevy Nova
95 Chevy Lumina 3.4L
and building a 78 Nova
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 01, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

DjD how do I get to that tech page without your link?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode