Help me!!! - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 01, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

I'm 17 and I just started working at AutoZone. I just got my first car, which is an '84 Camaro, and I am not satisfied with its power. It has a 2.8 L V6 but it is stupid slow. I have trouble getting on the highway because it doesn't accelerate fast enough. I bought it from a guy who let it sit for 4 yrs. I have trouble starting and in the morning and when I turn it off, it runs for a few extra seconds. I have not yet changed the fuel filter, and the engine idles high(broken a/c compressor) and burns rich. I want my car to go very fast w/o spending alot of $$$.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 01, 11:05 AM
Senior Tech
Joe

Give it a good tuneup and change the filters and as many fluids as you can. If you do the work your self the parts should be about $100-$150 at the most.

------------------
70 camaro 307 (350soon) /350th
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 01, 04:33 PM
David Pozzi

It's not going to go very fast with a 6, so don't spend a lot of money trying.
Use this car to learn with, and do all the basics like tune up an proper maintenence.
Help the engine breathe by putting a clean air cleaner element on it and get some cool air to it by using a fresh air duct like the Z/28's use.
Otherwise save your money and swap to a V8 car when you can stand the insurance costs. You can't get much performance out of a V6 with all the weight of a Camaro to push down the road.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350 Can-Am Vintage Racer

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 01, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

What about taking off the cat. I know it's illegal, but I heard sometimes it gets clogged up. How much power will taking off the catalytic converter give me?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 01, 11:48 AM
Senior Tech
Cameron

Yes, they can get clogged up, but it doesn't happen nearly as often as people think they do. Anyway, I took the catilytic converter off of my 2.8 GMC Sonoma and I couldn't really tell a difference. I don't think that the 2.8's move enough air to worry about it. Personally, I would do what David said, save my money for a V8 swap or a V8 car.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 01, 05:47 AM
Tech Team

Thumbs up

hey man, i was in the same boat as you not too long ago. i say wait until u have the cash for a decent v8, then juice the living daylights out of it, it wont last long but then again, whats the resail value for a 2.8. if u are keeping the chassis and just doing an engine swap, now would be a good time to start on some susspension tuning, be it for the street or strip, don't spend all of your money in one place, good luck
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 01, 04:01 AM
Senior Tech

Cool

Hi I am 40 years old and have and have a 68 Camaro with a 350, There is always some other guy who can go faster, I would like to go faster Too!!! but my wife says I can only spend my allowance and no more!!!!

The lesson Here Fast 1 is patience, You're only 17 and you own your own car, Thats Good!!, Tune it up, drive it, have fun with what you have, one day you will be able to buy another Camaro, that will be faster than your little 2.8 !!!!!!
First thing to check when buying an older car like your 2.8 is the condition of the air filter, chances are the previous owner, neglected the car befor selling, and had not changed the filter in a long time.
Good luck, and be patient.
Rob.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 01, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

I'm going to save up for a V-8. I need a new Carb. and the pistons are blown. Where should i look for a good motor (I'll also be needing a better transmission and differential)? Would a 454 fit in an '84 Camaro? What can I do to the V-6 to make it fast until I get the new engine?

p.s. I DON'T need... spark plugs, ANY filters, distributer cap/rotor, or wires. I already changed them.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 01, 09:50 AM
Senior Tech
Steven

To make a 2.8 V6 fast without spending money is like walking in the rain without getting wet ... it just doesn't happen that way ... You have been given some excellent advice ( Rob, David, Joekool and the others ) ... have some patience and put together a plan ... If you want a fast car, you had better have a good handling car ( suspension, steering, tires ) ... a car that can stop ( good brakes ) and a reliable car ( various system like cooling , electrical in good working order ) . A car is more than just an engine ... For now, use this car to learn and down the road, enhance it or buy something else you like more ... In the meantime, realize that 17 yr olds with points on their driving records pay HIGH HIGH HIGH insurance rates. Get a couple of tickets and you won't be able to afford the cost of driving a 4 cyl ... Be patient and be careful ... ( gee, hope I don't sound like Sgt Joe Friday )
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 01, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

I put in some gas struts, air shocks, new steering (centerlink, balljoints, tierods, etc.), rebuilt the differential, and new tires (235 front; 255 back). It's a safe ride and looks good (new paint job, new interior, mirror tint, new system, and new hub caps (ha). I want the engine to run as good as the car looks. Where should I start looking? How big of an engine will fit? A 454 RAT motor? 396? 350?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 01, 12:08 PM
Senior Tech

Wink

Fast1, First let me start by saying that sure a Big block can be stuffed into the car... But I do mean stuffed! Isn't this a driver...? A nice running small block would be much easier to find and on your wallet as well. A 396, 427, 454 are all the same size block on the outside and all weigh the same complete. Which would mean alot of modification to the car to drop one in! It wasn't unusal to find a small block in an 84 so replacing your V6 with a small block wouldn't be so bad!
Good luck with you project!

------------------
1967 Prostreet Camaro
402cid BBC TH 400 w/4,500 stall 4:56 gears,narrowed and tubbed... Well almost
http://www.visionworks-usa.com/camaro
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 01, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

Do you think a 400 small block would be good? There was a guy in popular hotrodding who slapped on some twin turbos off a Grand Natioal onto it. Do you think I can find a deal at the autorama? About how much will I have to spend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode