vacuum problem? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 02, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

my truck is currently giving me some problems. it started sputtering black smoke at idle, and the RPM's are way up when i'm sitting at a stop. other than when i'm in the low RPM range the car runs great.

any thoughts or suggestions on where to start looking for the problem?

thanks

ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 02, 06:35 AM

I've said it many times before, but here it goes again. Check for vacuum leaks. A vacuum leak will screw everything up. My 69 was doing the same thing, sputtering, running really, really rich, but at high RPM's life was good. Contemplated jetting the carb down, getting hotter plugs, timing and turned out to be a bad vacuum leak. Now the car runs well, good response and not spitting out anything other than the imports it eats on the weekends

------------------
1969, X-44, Export Model, Hugger Orange, Std. Int., BC Rear(soon to be a BT 12 bolt), PDB, GMPP 350HO, M22 Supercase, SSM Lift Bars, AirGap, Holley 750, FlowMaster American Thunder Exhaust, FlowTech Headers
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 02, 06:46 AM
Senior Tech

What carb engine etc... Power valve, stuck secondary plates.....

------------------
67 prostreet BB Camaro The Combat Rat
80 z28 Camaro 355ci
71 BB SS Chevelle (clone)
2002 35th anniv SS Z28 conv.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 02, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

hey thanks guys. i was thinking it might be vacuum, but this isn't my camaro that is having the problem it's my daily driver, 85 toyota pickup. but i can't very well go to work and make money for the new parts to go on my camaro without my truck now can i?

the problem now is that in 85 toyota seemed to go vacuum crazy seeing as i've never seen so many vacuum lines on a vehicle as my toyota has. any advice on where to start, how to identify problem lines, or if there is a method for pinpointing the problem.

anyhow thanks for the tips.

ben
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 02, 09:30 AM
Senior Tech

Try putting one end of a long piece of vac hose to your ear (just not too close)and the other end over the vac lines. You will hear a serious hissing if you come across a leak.( be very carefull not to hurt you ear)

------------------
67 prostreet BB Camaro The Combat Rat
80 z28 Camaro 355ci
71 BB SS Chevelle (clone)
2002 35th anniv SS Z28 conv.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 02, 09:43 AM

There is an old trick one of my uncles used to find vac leaks. I think he used a can of ether to spray around the vacuum hoses. When the ether hit the leak, the idle would change.

DISCLAIMER: I may not be remembering the ether part quite correctly...the older I get the less I remember. If anybody else knows what I'm talking about, please chime in!!!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 02, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

i think you mean carb spray.

i was told by a couple of individuals that this is the way to go. spray carb cleaner over the engine little by little until the idle changes. i guess the carb cleaner seals the leak for a few seconds.

i was also told by a few that this is the wrong way to go. very dangerous i guess. any comments?

milan: do i connect the line to anything or do i just kind of breeze over top of the lines with the other end of the hose?

thanks again

ben
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 02, 01:02 PM
Tech Team

I had a leak on the Plenum of my 85 iroc. I couldnt find it anywhere until I sprayed carb cleaner on the vacuum points. I found it instantly. No more black smoke no more sputtering. Ran almost 100% better. I also ran into sensor probs about a week later. I dont know if they are related at all or not.

Good luck

85iroc
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 02, 06:42 PM

I would spray the ETHER also. Carb cleaner and starting fluid are good. I learned that trick from my dad. We have never had any probs with this method. And I used this method to find the vacuum leak that I mentioned in my earlier post.

------------------
1969, X-44, Export Model, Hugger Orange, Std. Int., BC Rear(soon to be a BT 12 bolt), PDB, GMPP 350HO, M22 Supercase, SSM Lift Bars, AirGap, Holley 750, FlowMaster American Thunder Exhaust, FlowTech Headers
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 02, 02:02 AM
Senior Tech
John

I may be wrong, but I think that the reason that spraying a combustible gas to find the vacuum leak is that the gas will get pulled into the engine through the leak and will raise the idle by putting more fuel into the combustion process. I have heard this method as well, and this logic is what I had always assumed was true.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 02, 12:58 PM
Senior Tech

Try propane instead. Since it's a gas it's less likely to burn but may poof if it finds an ignition source.

-dnult
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 02, 06:29 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

second on the propane, just point the hose attached to the tank at any given spot and that will reveal most any vac leak. its also way cleaner the carb spray, etc., but they do work well.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 02, 05:46 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

I used to be a Toyota tech and the proud owner of a carbureted '86 4x4 for about 350K miles over 14 years!! Actually, since I can't stand to leave anything alone, I converted it to Turbo EFI after abot 250K miles !! )

If it's smoking black and runnung way rich, then I would bet that you have a ruptured AAP diaphragm. The AAP or Auxilliary Accellerator Pump is a vacuum operated device that dumps in some fuel when a big load get's put on the engine. If the diphragm ruptures, then it will just puke tons of fuel into the engine all the time through it's vacuum line.

You used to be able to buy a repair kit for this from Toyota. These days it may be cheaper/easier to just buy a rebuild kit. You really shouldn't have to even remove the carb. to replace this part.

Good luck,

Paul D.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 02, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

i was under the impression the reason to spray carb cleaner or whatever else on the vacuum lines was that it sealed the leak for a few seconds and DROPPED the idle. a vacuum leak raises the idle right? and i don't think that a little bit of carb cleaner is going to raise the idle enough to notice. of course this is just what i've always assumed and i'm not a car expert by any means so please let me know if i'm off my rocker.

PDQUICK: can you give me a ballpark on how much those acc. pumps run? is it an item that i can find at my local autozone? and what year did toyota make a Turbo EFI? how is that working out for you?

ben
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 02, 07:09 AM
Senior Tech

vacuum leaks are a pain in the *** to find. I use a mechanics stethascope and a can of WD-40 and it takes me about 15-20 minutes to find it. I had a leak at my throttle body in my blazer and it took forever to find it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode