Busted Rocker Arm - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 01, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Unhappy

I have a 69 camaro RS with a mild 355ci. The other day when I was on the highway I was running at about 100mph at about 4000rpm's when I heard this nasty clanging sound that lasted for a while and when I turned the car off for a while and let it cool down it went away. Well it has been comming and going for the last couple days and at differnt times sounding worse then others. Well today it started running really rough at idal all the way through the RPM band. So I pulled the valve cover and the number 4 exhaust valve Rocker was off the push rod and almost in half. I tried to replace the rocker but somthing is just not right there is tons of play in the rocker with the nut tightened down and the push rod seems to sit lower than all the rest. My questions are first what causes a rocker to self dustruct like this and why won't the new rocker sit right. There is so much play in it you could spin it around with the nut tightened. Any ideas ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 01, 06:03 PM
Senior Tech
John

most that break are on the exhaust side because it runs hotter. Did you lose a tip on your pushrod if they are the pressed in type?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 01, 06:05 PM
Senior Tech

Is that stud the same height as the rest. If so it sounds like a lifter has collapsed. If it is a solid lifter cam you have tossed a button out of the lifter. The cause is probabily valve float at one time or another.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 01, 09:40 PM
Senior Tech

When you turn the engine over, does that pushrod or rocker move? You may have wiped a cam lobe, and as it was wearing down the excessive slack may have beat the rocker to death. I have seen this happen on a lot of smallblocks. Also, are you sure that the pushrod is in the lifter? It isnt hard to get the pushrod just over to the side of the lifter and even though it may be solid against the block, the rocker will be tilted back towards the intake manifold. And one last thing...make sure the pushrod isnt bent...if it killed a rocker then the pushrod could easily have been bent also.

------------------
375hp 78 Chevy truck
77 Chevy Nova
95 Chevy Lumina 3.4L
and building a 78 Nova

[This message has been edited by travis (edited 04-27-2001).]
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 01, 04:01 AM
Tech Team

well at least yours didnt do what mine did in my 77 camaro. we went to go adjust the valves cause of a wicked sound, we pull the valve cover off and the rocker arm is sideways. the pushrod sits all the way down in the lifter bore?? whats wrong, well we pull the intake off and what do you know, they lifter is sitting in the valley, and IT DIDNT BEND THE PUSH ROD!!!

how and the hell could something like that happen?????????????
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 01, 05:52 AM
Senior Tech

The lock nut backed off.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 01, 06:45 AM

Did you take the intake off? When i broke a push rod,it pushed the lifter out of the hole.But then you would never come close to getting it to work...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 01, 07:09 AM
Tech Team

yea i took the intake off, the pushrod was fine and the lifter looked fine. put it all back together and ran fine!!!!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 01, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

Well after a little investigative work today I found exactly what insanchevy described. The rocker was turned sideways and almost in two pices and when I Pulled the intake I found the lifter sittin there. It is a wonder my push rod didn't fall inside the motor. I was lucky that the cam lobe was just in the right place cause that is what my push rod was balancing on. I replaced the lifter put the rocker back on and put the intake back on and tomarrow I am going to finish the job. I just have one queston and this is really bothering me..... When u buy a gasket set for an intake they give you four little rubber gaskets 2 big gaskets and a little paper one for your distributer. Here is my question and I know this is going to sound really stupid.... but are u supposed to use all 4 rubber gaskets cause I only found a place for 2 of them. I put one in the front of the block and one in the back by the distributer. I used alot of red RTV and bolted it all down and then I started lookin at what I had left over. Please tell me that I didn't screw this up.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 01, 05:55 AM
Senior Tech

Thumbs up

You didn't screw it up....sounds like the intake gasket package had two extra lifter valley end gaskets in it.

------------------
Justin Traunero
[email protected]

-1967 Camaro SS350

http://156.143.134.136/default.htm
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 01, 11:37 AM
Senior Tech

Either that or they are to cover the exhasut crossover. The 2 smaller holes that are in the center of the heads. Was the gasket covering these already?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 01, 04:08 PM
Team Member
John

The ones that block the exhaust crossover are thin stainless steel, and are usually molded into the intake gasket (at least they are on Fel-Pro gaskets); rubber would be history in a minute on the crossover port. I usually pitch the rubber end seals and just use a bead of Permatex Ultra-Copper - nice and neat, no shifting rubber seals, no oil leaks.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode