Chip Type Key - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 01, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Smile

I think I know what part of my previous problem is...I replaced my lock cylinder in the steering column with an aftermarket brand from Advance auto Parts...wasn't informed that the blank in the new cylinder wouldn't and would have to be recut on a new blank with the same chip as the old lock cylinder...Well with the old cylinder being a sloppy fit and bad I thought I dropped in the trash 2 weeks ago...Now I don't have the correct key for my car that will deactivate the VATS system...Is there any way around this? HELP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 01, 03:30 PM

I'm having a similar problem with my 1996 5.7 LT1. Talk to lnjstreetrods in the tech team, he might have your solution.

didn't see this posting untill later.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 01, 03:11 PM

I work for a buick dealer ship and I know that we can relearn the vats system in them......you would think it would be the same threw out gm cars.........What you may have to do is hook up a battery charger to the car....Put the key in and turn it to the run position for 30 min. or untill the security light goes out...turn ignition off and repete this two more times....then it should start.......hope this helps ya.....It works on the Buicks

Cly

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 01, 04:07 PM
Senior Tech

Lightbulb

Hey dude, sorry to hear about your key but here is something that might help you out. I didn't see if you mentioned your model year. But the VATS is pretty standard in camaro's. I have a copy of the 1989 camaro service manual and it says that if the key is lost, you must use a special tool to determine the resistance value in that special little pellet and then have the pellet programmed with that code. This special tool I have just mentioned is called the J 35628 VATS Interrogator and is usually available at all GM dealerships. They will be happy (for a small fee)to check your system and program your key. Your only other option is to replace the VATS controller module as well as the ignition switch and they ain't cheap.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 01, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

TNX for the info, it's at the dealer now having just that done to it...reprogrammed that is ...VATS module runs 335.00 so that was out of the question...TNX again <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by trickster:
Hey dude, sorry to hear about your key but here is something that might help you out. I didn't see if you mentioned your model year. But the VATS is pretty standard in camaro's. I have a copy of the 1989 camaro service manual and it says that if the key is lost, you must use a special tool to determine the resistance value in that special little pellet and then have the pellet programmed with that code. This special tool I have just mentioned is called the J 35628 VATS Interrogator and is usually available at all GM dealerships. They will be happy (for a small fee)to check your system and program your key. Your only other option is to replace the VATS controller module as well as the ignition switch and they ain't cheap.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 01, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

TNX for the reply, according to the dealer the buick has it's own transponder built in to program the VATS module where the camaro doesn't...So I sent it to the dealer to be done...TNX... <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Clyoatis:
I work for a buick dealer ship and I know that we can relearn the vats system in them......you would think it would be the same threw out gm cars.........What you may have to do is hook up a battery charger to the car....Put the key in and turn it to the run position for 30 min. or untill the security light goes out...turn ignition off and repete this two more times....then it should start.......hope this helps ya.....It works on the Buicks

Cly
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 01, 01:26 PM

AH......I wasn't sure about the Camaro ones but thought it was worth a shot.....You'll be on the road in no time now

Cly
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 01, 09:10 AM
Senior Tech

I did the same mistake, I found out mine was a "50" or somthing like that chip. I guy at Carlisle cut me all 15 vat code keys for 100 bux and I just kept trying till I got it.

kinda welfare way, but it beats replacing the Vat sender and computer with the matching vats code chip in it.

------------------

Chris's 67 RS 327, Comp280,Flowmasters,shoddy interior, pepboys carpet and rusty floors and trunk can be seen at http://www.67rs.com
JOIN THE CAMARO NET WEBRING!
http://nav.webring.yahoo.com/hub?ring=camaronet&list
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 01, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Well I had the dealer hook there interogator to it and then cut me a key! It cost me a grand total of 213.00 which included wrecker fee to get it to the shop....Well HELL, I won't make that screw up again...Hee Hee <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris Edwards:
I did the same mistake, I found out mine was a "50" or somthing like that chip. I guy at Carlisle cut me all 15 vat code keys for 100 bux and I just kept trying till I got it.

kinda welfare way, but it beats replacing the Vat sender and computer with the matching vats code chip in it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 06, 04:52 PM

Re: Chip Type Key

Tried this fix on my 94 Camaro w/V6 and it worked just fine. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode