oil leak - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 11th, 01, 02:24 AM Thread Starter

Question

My 68 Camaro is finally running amazingly well. Took awhile fine tuning the distributor. Now I have a different problem.

I drove the car 85 miles yesterday, and when I got home I noticed oil under my carb on my Airgap intake. I also had some oil droplets on the hood insulation and various other places. The last time I installed the distributor, I noticed that the gasket had some oil on it. Would a leaking distributor gasket blow oil just about everywhere? I revved the car last night for about 15 minutes and kept checking for leaks. I don't see anything. Any suggestions??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 11th, 01, 03:32 AM
Senior Tech
Steven

Remember that the air flow over the engine is front to back ... therefore, a distributor leak should get blown out the back, not sling around the front... If oil appears to be slung, it must be tossed by a rotating assembly. Also, if you have A/C, your compressor can sling A/C oil...But back to the oil on the manifold, if it is puddling in a specific area, then you look for the leak in that area...a bolt or maybe the valve cover gasket adjacent to the puddle area ... Was the manifold a recent install ?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 11th, 01, 03:39 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Gunk ( or what ever your pleasure is ) the engine off and watch closely after you next drive it. I think the fan is blowing the oil around. My guess would be either the intake manifold or valve cover as starting points.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 11th, 01, 05:47 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

You're most common place to get oil seepage is from the intake bolts.

All of the inside bolts are through holes into the lifter galley. The four bolts on the corners are blind holes.

Take a bolt out, one at a time, clean the threads of both the bolt and hole with Brake clean or lacquer thinner, apply a bead (1/8" dia) of black RTV or a generous amount of Permatex A200 to bolt thread and install bolt. Torque to spec. Leave set for 8-24 hours.

Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 25th, 01, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Red face

I tracked down my oil leak, and it was the left front upper corner of my valve cover. I drove it to put some gas in it, and to check it for leaks. At the gas station, at exactly 6.4 gallons, gasoline started running out the seam of my gas tank. The car had a full tank of gas for two weeks before the oil leak, and now I can't go past a half. I have absolutely no luck, unless you consider the fact that my oil leak was a valve cover and not the timing cover. Oh well, the tank had to go sometime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode