Edelbrock Carb Setup Help - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 03, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I could use some suggestions about what jets and stuff to use on my engine. I have a 355, Comp Cams Mangnum 280H, World Products Sportsman 64cc heads, TRW flattops with valve reliefs, 9.?:1 compression, Weiand Stealth intake manifold, hooker super comp 1 3/4 headers. I have initial timing at 12, no vacuum advance, mallory unilite with another 24. edlebrock 600 cfm carb and a 4spd. Right now it has stock jets, 100's on primary, 95's on the secondaries. Also have 1446 metering rods to go 3% rich on the power and cruise modes, orange stepup spring at 5" vacuum. I changed the accelerator pump nozzle from .028 to .023 and the pump drive linkage is in the middle. When I'm using just the primaries the engine runs ok. But when I floor it from idle the engine sometimes stalls completely or stumbles up to 4000. Full throttle from 3000 rpms and the engine runs a little rough until 4000 and then the power seems good. I have a fuel pressure regulator set at 5, carb floats are about 1/2 inch and they don't leak, needle and seats are clean. I also sprayed starter fluid around the manifold plenum and around some of the vacuum fittings on the manifold to check for vacuum leaks and didn't notice any increase in rpms. I really want to get this carb dialed in for this coming autocross season so I can represent with a first gen camaro.
http://216.162.194.228/chevrolet/

Max
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 03, 10:34 AM
Senior Tech

MaxR,
I do not have the same motor set up but I had a similar situation with my 600CFM. I changed the the main metering rods to the 1449 rods, put in the heaviest step up spring due to the cam (I forgot the color) and put the accelerator pump rod in the hole closet to the body of the carb. Did this ever make a difference!! All the changes were per the instructions from the tech at Edelbrock and were done in about 10 minutes!
The tech indicated that all their carbs come stock in the box for "stock" motor configurations. He told me if there were any performance modifications then the carb would have to be modified also. Try it, see what happens.
[img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

Quote:
Originally posted by MaxR:
I could use some suggestions about what jets and stuff to use on my engine. I have a 355, Comp Cams Mangnum 280H, World Products Sportsman 64cc heads, TRW flattops with valve reliefs, 9.?:1 compression, Weiand Stealth intake manifold, hooker super comp 1 3/4 headers. I have initial timing at 12, no vacuum advance, mallory unilite with another 24. edlebrock 600 cfm carb and a 4spd. Right now it has stock jets, 100's on primary, 95's on the secondaries. Also have 1446 metering rods to go 3% rich on the power and cruise modes, orange stepup spring at 5" vacuum. I changed the accelerator pump nozzle from .028 to .023 and the pump drive linkage is in the middle. When I'm using just the primaries the engine runs ok. But when I floor it from idle the engine sometimes stalls completely or stumbles up to 4000. Full throttle from 3000 rpms and the engine runs a little rough until 4000 and then the power seems good. I have a fuel pressure regulator set at 5, carb floats are about 1/2 inch and they don't leak, needle and seats are clean. I also sprayed starter fluid around the manifold plenum and around some of the vacuum fittings on the manifold to check for vacuum leaks and didn't notice any increase in rpms. I really want to get this carb dialed in for this coming autocross season so I can represent with a first gen camaro.
http://216.162.194.228/chevrolet/

Max

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 03, 08:11 AM
Tech Team

I would bring everything back to stock except the jets, and try the stiffest spring, and the leanest pump linkage. It's easier to tune from a lean point.

If you have 5-8psi at idle go light on the step up spring.
9-12 mediem
15-20 strongest

good luck

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 03, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

for anyone doing a search, the .024 accelerator pump nozzle was the problem. switched to an .033 nozzle, now i have good low rpm throttle response. thanks for the suggestions though, I'm not sure this is the perfect setup so I might try them out at a test 'n tune.

http://maxryan.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode