wiring front lights - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 00, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Angry

I have tried and tried and I cannot igure out why my parking lights and turn signal lights are not working. The fuses are fine and wires are in good shape. Now, the headlights work, but nothing else. has anyone else had this problem are cn supply some good ideas? Thank you

------------------

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 00, 01:03 PM
David Pozzi

If your car has been sitting for a long time, the contacts in the switch may be corroded. Is there juice on the circut coming out of the switch?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 00, 01:04 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

Sounds like two seperate problems. The running lamps and brake lamps are seperate circuits. For the running lights, is there power in and out of the headlamp switch? You should be ablt to verify by checking the accessory light connection at the fuse block. Have you recently dis-connected any of the wiring looms from the fuse panel? If so perhaps some of the wire connections are not making contact. The brake/turn signals can be affected by the relay, turn signal switch, and brake light switch. If the turn signal switch is not operating/connected lots of stuff stops working.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 00, 10:57 AM
Senior Tech

Cool

What year of Camaro are we dealing with here?

------------------
67 SS
70 Z/28
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 00, 03:35 AM Thread Starter

O.K., thanks for the replies. It is a 68. I was able to get power to all lights. My new problem is that when I pull the knob on the dash to activate the marker and r/s lower valance lights the work, when I pull the knob all the way out to turn on the headlights, the power to the previous two goes out and the headlights stay on. Hmmmmm, what could case this, incorrect hookup?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 00, 07:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I'm fishing hard, but have you checked the ground on the headlights?

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 00, 09:09 AM
Senior Tech
Carl

I think I understand your explanation. When the headlamp switch is in the running-lights only position, the side marker and running lamps illuminate, but when the headlamp switch is fully engaged they go out. Do the side marker, front and rear running lights illuminate brightly when turned on in the running lights only position? If so it may be a switch problem. The grounding mentioned by JimM is totally valid. Some telltale signs are dull illumination and the dull lighting of both bulb elements when the running lights and turn signals are used at the same time. I believe that all of the front lighting may share a common ground but my brain is failing me. If the lights are bright at one switch position and off the other I would suspect the switch (check light plug with a voltmeter to the positive terminal). If there is voltage, it's likely a ground problem.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 00, 02:42 PM
Senior Tech

Think you might have an early style headlight switch, the early 60 cars had true park lights that went out when you turned on the headlights,
i think you should try a new style switch.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 00, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

CarlC- I think you might be on to something because my turn signal lights are not activating. Neither are my brake light or rear turn signal lights. I really have not messed with anything, but it is always possible that a wire came loose, although anything can happen. I want to thank everyone who has replied and any future responses. It truely is appreciated, just can be frustrating sometimes. OHHH, what realy are you refering to in your message?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 00, 08:25 AM
Senior Tech
Carl

Dino,
The brakes lights and turn signals are the same circuit. The flasher relay acts as a on/off switch. The flasher is normally on so that when you press the brake pedal, the brake light illuminates. When the turn signal is activated, it turns the appropriate brake light on and off. In this case, all of the brake and turn signal functions are routed through the turn signal switch. On my '68 I had the turn signal switch connector push a single wire out and not make continuity. That caused a bunch of headaces and was a pain to track down. It coud also be the switch. Fortunately, you can still buy these from GM. They come with an adapter to fit the older style connectors but the switch is a perfect bolt in item.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 00, 05:06 PM
Senior Tech

Hi guys.
I had an interesting problem that I debuged a couple of weeks ago.
My park lights and turn signals would not work on my 67. I check all grounds to no avail. Then one day I decided to pull my instrument panel to replace the bulbs. I noticed that my center screw in the bezel was missing so I replaced it instead of working on the panel that day. Well, the park light and signals starting working again. I remembered now that there is a ground strap that that center bezel screw goes thru. So I would keep that in mind in the future for ground problems! Also another tid bit, if the head lights won't come on it's probably the dimmer switch. It completes the headlight cicuit on a 67. Found out the hard way on that one!

------------------
67 SS
70 Z/28
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 00, 06:31 AM
Senior Tech

After rooting around under the dash working on something unrelated, my headlights would not work. All the other lights worked and there was power to the switch but not beyond. It turned out that the headlight switch connector had come loose and when I plugged it back it one of the switch contacts just bent over sideways. It had been a while since I was under the dash so I had forgotten I even touched it.

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed; '99 HD Road King Classic
www.geocities.com/sdenning1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode