'86 Iroc Z28 Transmission Question - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 03, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I know you guys are mostly into the 1st generation Camaros, but thought maybe someone could help me here.....I'm in the process of buying a one owner 23,000 mile '86 Iroc Z28 Camaro. My neighbor (good friend) manages the new car dealership where the car was traded, so I'm getting a real good deal and the car is just like new.
It has the 4 speed automatic transmission with overdrive and it's all original with no modifications. I've got a question regarding the transmission. When I'm starting out, the shifting seems sort of aggressive almost like it had a shift kit (it doesn't). When I'm cruising about 30 mph and slowing to about 5 mph before a stop sign, the downshift feels sort of different. It's hard to describe the feeling, but it almost feel like a quick slip even though the transmission shifts just fine. I've never driven a 4 speed automatic and was wondering if this is normal for this transmission. The car was bought new and traded locally and I spoke with the original owner and he said he never had any problems and it shifted like this since new. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Bill
P.S. (When I'm in town, I put the selector in drive and when I'm on the open road, I use overdrive). The manual says to use overdrive all the time unless extra passing power is needed. Is this correct?

------------------
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>My Retro '69 Z28 Camaro - http://hobbystage.net/camaro/redlines4us/
<LI>My Email [email protected] [/list]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 03, 02:15 PM
Bill

Bill,
The 700r4 in my 85 Blazer felt like it had a shift kit in it from the day it was new. I put over 150K miles on it with no problem. You might check the TV cable adjustment as that is what controls shift firmness in those transmissions. The adjustment is very easy, but hard to describe without showing you. If you get it wrong in the other direction (soft shifting)...you can burn up the trans REAL quick. I used to keep mine in D also, 99% of the time, but the Blazer was pretty heavy and the little 305 did not like od until about 65 mph. As long as you dont feel the trans shifting up and down out of O.D. too often, it will be fine if you leave it in O.D.
Hope this helps,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 03, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for the quick response. I think I'll stop by my local transmission shop tomorow and let them take it for a spin. Bill

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 03, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I just took the Z to the transmission shop and he said everything is working normal and what I was feeling was the converter kicking out at low speed when I touched the brake. He said that was perfectly normal. Plus he said that there is very very little adjustment you can make with the cable. Thanks! Bill

------------------
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>My Retro '69 Z28 Camaro - http://hobbystage.net/camaro/redlines4us/
<LI>My Email [email protected] [/list]
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 03, 07:14 PM
Senior Tech

Ive got an 84 Z28 and pretty sure i have the same tranny, i know what your talking about, i thought i had a trans problem myself, but its apparently just as you put it "Aggressive" i also use drive on local roads and OD for highway usage, i like the extra power and horses on normal driving. there is no harm using OD or Drive all the time however dont use Drive on the highway im no pro on transmissions but youll notice when using drive on the highway that it winding out and needs that extra gear, im sure someone more knowledeable can explain this better but always use OD on the highway unless you need that extra passing power or Climbing. Good Luck with your New toy. By the wayalthough the majority of users here are 1st gen, dont let that fool ya, these guys know their stuff. and as far as we aer concerned a Camaro is a Camaro your in the right place. Welcome to Team Camaro, looking forward to hearing more from you.

------------------
1984 Chevy Camaro (305)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode