1989 RS ecm trouble - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 03, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Red face

HELP!!!!!

I'm pulling code 52 out of the ecm.
I've replaced the ecm and prom chip and it's still driving terrible.

What do I do?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 03, 05:29 PM
Senior Tech

Greetings DOzER,

If You are still getting a code 52 after replacing the ECM and chip, you might start checking to make sure that all the wires are firmly seated in the ECM connector and that none of them are damaged or bare.
[img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

The Trickster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 03, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Okay...I'll try that.

I've also read something about a Calpack...is that the same as the prom?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 03, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

p.s.

The mechanic I originally took it to had no clue what the problem was!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 03, 05:56 PM
Senior Tech

Greetings DOzER,

Yes, the calpac is the same as the prom chip, they changed the name on it to make it sound more technical and confuse us poor shade tree mechanics. As for the mechanic you took it to not having a clue, unfortunately I have found this to be quite common a lot of times. This is not to say there aren't a lot of good mechanics out there. I have just found that a lot of places want good mechanics but are unwilling to pay them what they are worth.
[img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

The Trickster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 03, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Angry

I guess I wouldn't call him a bad mechanic. He did a lot of free work to try and find out what the problem was. After cutting the catalytic converter off and welding it back in place...he pretty much threw up his hands and said it was the computer. I'll take your advice and check the wires...if it's not that...than I don't know what to do!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 03, 08:36 PM

How about a ground problem? Is there some fat black ground wire that grounds the whole unit? I would check that out. Just toss'n that out there. I have not delt with this type stuff but I do nkow elevtronics a little and connectors can get corroded. May need to shine them up a little. Thoughts?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 03, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Angry

I'm going to replace the prom chip again with another new one...maybe another computer. It could be I just got some faulty ones. The parts guy I talked to said that PROM's don't normally go bad...but who knows. There are only two harnesses that plug into the computer and both look to be in great shape. When I drive it it runs great for awhile, maybe 10 miles, then begins to jerk when shifting into third and loses almost all power. I then shut the ignition off and it runs fine for awhile. [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 03, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy

I just read something about "idle air control valve" on the 2.8 and 3.1 engines being faulty. Could this be my problem??? I am pulling code 52 from my ECM, however, after reading this article, it sounds alot like my problem. It drives great for awhile, than like that it stalls or loses power. I pull over and shut the key off, start it back up, and it runs fine again. I'm about to throw a lit flare into her....HEEEELP!!!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 03, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb

Okay guys, check this out and tell me what you think...I pulled this off of another website..."The Calpak is that other, smaller, chip next to the eprom. The dealer has them. It contains part of the fuel control code.

1987 Chevy S-10 Blazer with 2.8L PART GM# 16051459

CODE 52

Trouble Code 52 indicates that the ECM sensed a fault with the CALPACK. The CALPACK is a plug-in module separate from the PROM, that contains preset calibrations used by the system during "limp home" (backup) mode. The ECM continuously checks for its presence while power is applied.

The conditions for setting this code are:

the ECM does not sense the CALPACK

Typical causes for this code include:

1) Incorrectly installed CALPACK module
2) Incorrect CALPACK module for this vehicle
3) Defective or incorrectly inserted PROM
4) Defective ECM
5) Missing, as in swapping computers and swapping the eprom but forgetting to swap calpak also!

When I got the re-manufactured ecm from NAPA...I replaced the PROM but they said nothing about a CALPAK!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 03, 03:19 AM
Senior Tech

[img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] That sounds about right DOzER, good job on your search and good luck with your problem. [img]graemlins/hurray.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

The Trickster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 03, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Angry

Well...this morning I looked inside the computer...and sure enough, right next to the prom chip is a smaller terminal that accepts...you guessed it...the calpack chip. I ordered a new one today and hopefully after installing it my troubles will go away. I'll keep y'all updated!!! [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode