It keeps on going up - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 00, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

My engine has about 4000 miles on it now in my 68 camaro. It drives good. Its just when I shut the engine off the temperature gauge keeps on rising. Lets say I turn off the engine at 160 degrees. The gauge climbs to all the way to 190 or 200. Whats goin on. The engine does not overheat. I also checked this problem with my hood up. When I shut the engine I can hear a lot of water rushing from somewhere. I must know what this problem is. Oh and when I start the engine back up the temperature goes back down. I would appreciate your help. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 00, 05:45 PM
Senior Tech

I'm pretty sure this is normal, at least to a certain extent. When you turn off the engine, the coolant stops flowing immediately, and it's this action that causes the coolant to heat up a little before it actual starts to cool down, because the engine is still very hot. Maybe someone can explain it a little better than I can, but I don't think it's anything to worry about. 200 degrees won't crack a head or a block, you'd have to reach 230 or above for it to be a real problem. KZ

------------------
John D. Smith
69' SS/396
www.geocities.com/kz1000ltd
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 00, 12:18 AM

When your engine is running, you are measuring water temperature. The engine, when running, is always trying to heat up and the water in it is trying to keep it cool.
When you shut off the engine, the flow of water stops but the internal parts of the engine are still hot, especially the closer you get to the combustion chamber. The hot internal parts of the engine are now free to heat up the area where the temperature prob is located. This will cause a rise in LOCAL water temperature. When you re-start the engine, that heated water moves on past the area where the temperature prob is located and the circulating water will then re-cool that area.
The temperature fluxuation should be 15 - 20 degrees.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 00, 01:55 PM
Team Member
John

Perfectly normal - don't worry, be happy!

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode