Jack leak down - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 03, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thumbs down

I have had a cheap Wal-Mart jack for a few years now. I noticed tonight that it has started to leak down right after i pump it up. Is there anything I can do about this or just go buy another cheap jack?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 03, 04:48 AM
Senior Tech

What Iíve figured out over the years is that if you buy an expensive, name brand jack thatís rebuildable, the rebuild kit cost as much as a cheap jack. So I just go buy a new cheap floor jack every 4 or 5 years. They all have different size pads that I keep for different uses. One, I welded a big piece of steel plate on to use for transmissions.

Ron
The ď
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ē
An exercise in interchangeability on a Well optioned 67 SS 350 vert.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 03, 05:08 AM
Senior Tech

I had a jack shop in Las Vegas rebuild my Hein Warner for $180. It lasted about 8 months being used about two times a week max. Fluid runs out of it as fast as you pour it in almost.

I also bought a used Hein Warner transmission jack for $500 from them. It works great and am very happy I bought it.

'66 Yenko Stinger
'68 Camaro SS 396 L89
'69 Ford F250 CrewCab 4x4 Survivor (ex Govt.)

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 03, 09:34 PM
Senior Tech

One thing that causes leak-down is putting the gorilla grip on the bleader screw. Just turn it till it bottoms out and stops. No need to torque. The cheap jacks are especially suseptible since the metal is usually softer and will easily gawl if over tightened.

-dnult

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 03, 11:18 AM
Senior Tech

Dnult hit it on the head. Also don't let the cylinder shaft get coroded making the orings take abuse. Oh yah... maybe don't store the jack with the valve shut. The high preasure seats normally are semi hard teflon or plastic that take a memory. Once it's take a impression/memory as far as it can be compressed it's not going to be having a good preasure seal since it's like just butting up to the seal material instead of having a good preasure aplied.
My trusty bottle jack was too big and I got tired of using the car jack especially when I would of loved to of done a full front or rear raising in one shot. Bought a cheap floor jack that sure looked small enough to go under the front cross member. Nope the jacks too big to go under. Measure your clearance where you want to jack from. Maybe in the future for driveway and garage plans a lowered section of concrete to facilitate low clerances would be the hot set up. But for now just make sure you can get under where you want to raise from. The hydrolic rolling floor jack sure is small but it's jacking point clearance doesn't make it for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode