4 speed problems - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 01, 04:45 AM
69 Man

Unhappy

I have a 69 Camaro with a 396, 4 speed early T-10 Borg Warner from 1965. I have gone through 3 transmissions in the last 4 years, (car set for 2 years, not a good average) Now the completely rebuilt, including new linkage for my exact application, T-10 jumps out of 2nd and 3rd. I took the tranny out of the car, and had a friend that is a 4 speed whiz help me take it apart, to see what was wrong. I used the old Muncie linkage on my Competition Plus shifter on the T-10. It kept getting in a bind, there was no good way of setting it up, the linkage rods just had the wrong bends in them. We took it apart, and discovered that the shift keys were installed wrong, they also looked like new. The spring tab was not hooked up properly to the inside of the key, getting deep into the tranny, everything looks perfect, and mainly brand new. We reassembled it, put the new Hurst linkage kit on thinking we would kill 2 birds with one stone. We put it back in the car and it was doing the same damn thing. You didn't need to even have it under a load for it to pop out of second gear. Under a heavy load, it will pop out of third, which is puzzling, because 2nd gear cluster and 3rd gear cluster, are not together. I am switching to a automatic with stall next week, because I am tired of messing with it. But I need to fix the problem of the 4 speed, so I can resell it. If anyone has any idea, or someone I can talk to please let me know. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 01, 08:30 AM
Senior Tech

I had a bad shift fork once that would cause my Muncie to jump out of 3rd.

------------------
68 RS red w/ white stripes
67 SS/RS restoring
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 01, 03:46 PM
Senior Tech

69man
Don't bother. The T-10 is a weak transmission. There is not a lot of demand. You may be able to sell it to someone who wants it for a restoration. Let him mess with it.
I have the same tranny & basically the same problems in my 68 (behind a 350). I just got a Tremec for it & will try to sell the T10 to a restorer. Later versions of the T10 (Super T-10) are excellent transmissions.

------------------
Rick Schaefer
68 Camaro
72 El Camino
TPI350/700r4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode