Bill K... 427 tall deck? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 99, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

I found a 427 I can pick up for a pretty good price. The only thing is its a newer 427 out of about a 3-5 ton industrial truck. My question is what diferances will this have verse the older short deck blocks in overall engine performance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 99, 06:41 PM

The "truck" blocks have a taller deck than the automotive blocks, 10.2" and 9.8" respectively. The advantage to running the taller deck is that you can get a longer rod which reduces piston side wall loading, increases time piston is at TDC and slows down the piston speed. The disadvantage is I think, I have yet to try this setup, is that the tall deck block may put the heads right where the brake power booster is located. No power brakes. If you decide to go with the tall deck check for casting shift. I understand the truck blocks are prone to core shift resulting in thin cylinder walls.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 99, 02:43 PM
Bill

Austin,
Joseph about summed it all up. But, if you can get the thing for a real cheap price, like a hundred bucks or so, it would be worth it for the crank and rods. Most of the truck motors had steel cranks in them. You did not say what year it was, but the newer motors have a one piece rear main seal crankshaft that will not go into an older style block. Personally, for a street motor, the slight advantage of being able to use a longer rod just is not worth the hassles which include clearence problems, intake manifold spacers, different (taller) distributor etc.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 99, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. The price is $400. it's a complete long block less intake, not sure of the year "newer" he has two one was fuel injected and has the one piece seal the other is two piece seal. Right now I have a 302 and love it, but its set up fairly "rad" with 12.5 pistons and a solid cam that loves to rev up to 8500, well you see what I mean. Its not like I drive the car everyday but the power you can get out of a mild 427 is impressive, but from what you said sounds like I should keep looking. By the way even if I get a big block the 302 will stay in my garage!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode